+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Original US model Shure SC35C

I'm Allthatwasisorwillbe.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Well, mine has just arrived in the post! I won't get a chance to play with it until the weekend, though, so will report my findings here then

Marco.
    Glad they have arrived ok,regarding the the slight rust on a couple of the pins,i used some very fine sandpaper and then some alcohol and they come up quite well.
    Actually,i've just remembered,i've got some brasso wadding lying around somewhere,to get them nice and shiny.

I 've not had a play with vtf yet and im about to go out and buy some shambala tickets(festival for 3 days of hedonism ) so will try later.
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    TECHNICS 1200 MKII_JELCO 750D_SHURE SC35C (with NOS and NEO SAS styli)
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO
    PARADIGM REFERENCE ACTIVE/40'S
    PARADIGM SERVO 15 SUBWOOFER X 2

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Darren,

I've got a special fibreglass pen, I use for cleaning the pins on valves, which will be ideal for that job. I'll finish things off then with some Blue Horizon contact cleaner, and it'll be job done!

I wouldn't advise using Brasso, as it's liable to leave some residue on the pins, after cleaning, which is difficult to completely remove.

You should get yourself one of the fibreglass pens - they're very handy and do a great job: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIBREGLASS...=item27bb510fb

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi Darren,

I've got a special fibreglass pen, I use for cleaning the pins on valves, which will be ideal for that job. I'll finish things off then with some Blue Horizon contact cleaner, and it'll be job done!

I wouldn't advise using Brasso, as it's liable to leave some residue on the pins, after cleaning, which is difficult to completely remove.

You should get yourself one of the fibreglass pens - they're very handy and do a great job: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIBREGLASS...=item27bb510fb

Marco.
    I should of known you'd be well on top of the situation

Cheers for the link,they look perfect for the job.
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

Tickets can wait

I've got vtf at 3.0g and it sounds good,im going to stick with this for awhile.

Reading the paperwork that came with it,shure say it was tested with sme arms,are these high/medium/low mass arms?
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO

Chances are in those days it was a 3009, given the age of the cartridge. The 3009 I would say is 'low to medium-mass', with its stock headshell.

I have a hunch that that the SC35C will like a bit of mass (as do most conical-tipped cartridges), so I'll be fitting it on one of my NOS high-mass headshells, in the Jelco, and starting VTF at 2.8g, working upwards if necessary. If I hear any mistracking at 3g or so, I'll up the downforce accordingly.

I'm not sure it needs any more than that for hi-fi use, as the 4.5g recommendation will likely only have been for extra stability in broadcasting studios. Such a high VTF, I reckon, would probably have dulled its high-frequency response.

Other than a spherical-tipped SPU, and juke box cartridges, I've yet to hear any cartridge that benefits in hi-fi use from such a high VTF.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I wasn't hearing much,if any difference between 4.0g and 3.0g so will stick with this then work down.

Im using the AT LS-12 you sold me which weighs the same as the stock jelco at 12g but feels alot more substantial and solid.

Out of curiousity,how long do you think the stylus needs to run in for?
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO

Hi Darren,

You should hear a bit more top-end 'sparkle' with a significantly lower VTF...

The LS-12 headshell will be ideal for the job!

In terms of 'running-in' the stylus, sometimes a few album sides are enough, but other times it takes longer - much depends on the stylus type and the quality of diamond used.

You'll know when the sound begins to 'flesh out' and gain more body and texture, and when the top-end becomes less 'insistent'

Marco.
    Main System

I'm openingabottleofwine.

What happened to the Shure SC35 body I gave you Marco?

Cheers
    Barry

I've still got it, Barry - why?

Marco.
    Main System

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I don't know if Shure's conical tips in the 80's were any better than the roughly polished bits of coal they made in the 70's, but a good few hours should sort that out with luck..

Don't be tempted to go too low in playing weight, otherwise you'll be as bad as I was at the time. I used 4g at the time, and I think the Beeb still had Gates decks with the heavy old Grey tonearm, a huge bit of ironmongery with a damped ball and cup stabilised unipivot bearing.

At some point, the BBC went over to SP10's with their own design of arm, using OM-Pro's which were regarded as "better." I have an Om-pro and also a GT, which sounds similar but in a 500 series body. Both mistrack a bit on difficult sibilant records which fine-line tips sail through with no audible dissssstortion...

Marco, you ought to have a current Stanton 500V3 as a modern reference, I think it's a fine cartridge still and tracks safely at 3g (the Ortofons say 4g and 4g it HAS to be!).
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast