+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Original US model Shure SC35C

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Yeah Marco, not the cartridge, merely the Dual arm, which is a bit - er - "lively" in the upper midband. mass wise, the Duals of this period are around 15g according to 'Choice, and the counterweight was "tuned" specifically for the Shure V15 III and others like it I seem to remember. [edit] - the M3D/N21 wasn't really happy in the 701 without loads of mass added (counterweight was right out almost as far as it would go without falling out) and my guess was that tha SC35C may be similar, preferring a heavier and more solid/rigid arm to work at its best, that's all..

Shane, who posts here, had a damaged 701, from which he poached the motor and sent me the remains, which have come in SO handy . As the motor has the electronics mounted underneath and the transformer is easily relocated well away from the rest of it, I think there's a superdeck coming along. I'd possibly leave the mat stuck to the platter as the whole is totally dead and plonk a cork or similar mat on top of it.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Lee.

Well thanks to Darren who gave me his SC35C and cart after reading this thread I want to get my hands on an original American SC35C cart, any idea as to where I can get one from?

Cheers Lee
    Vinyl rig 1 - NAS Spacedeck / FR64s / Lab 12 Melto / Denon SUT / Ortofon GM SPU. Vinyl rig 2 Mono Set Up - Lenco GL75 c/w Jelco 750D / AT33 Mono / EAR 834P Modded. Amplifiers - Audio Note Empress Silver / Hattor Passive Pre. Digital - Fanless Mini PC / Lampizator TRP / Linear PSU / Hummingboard Network audio adaptor. Speakers - Horns.pl Mummy's. Cables are Audio Note / Albedo / Furutech Speaker wire. Power conditioner is a Gigawatt PC2 EVO

I'm Allthatwasisorwillbe.

Hi lee,

I have sent you a pm,but i'll repeat what i said in that here,incase anyone else is interested in this cart.

Basically put a wanted ad in as many forums as possible and keep you eye out on ebay ect.

Have you thought about a goldring G800 lee? These are more readily available and offer very good sppv,apparently.I have one,but haven't got round to replacing my dodgy stylus yet,not sure why anyway marco rates them highly in the right system,when setup optimally.He did a comparison between the two,which he wrote about in this thread.The G800 may have a more favourable presentation to you,depending on what you like/want.

Maybe worth considering while you look for a SC35C.
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    TECHNICS 1200 MKII_JELCO 750D_SHURE SC35C (with NOS and NEO SAS styli)
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO
    PARADIGM REFERENCE ACTIVE/40'S
    PARADIGM SERVO 15 SUBWOOFER X 2

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

I'm Allthatwasisorwillbe.

If anyone would like a NOS styli for the SC35C,then this guy has some! If you have a 'vintage' SC35C,but not an original styli,this will be money well spent

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHURE-CART...item20d17e96bc
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    TECHNICS 1200 MKII_JELCO 750D_SHURE SC35C (with NOS and NEO SAS styli)
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO
    PARADIGM REFERENCE ACTIVE/40'S
    PARADIGM SERVO 15 SUBWOOFER X 2

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

I'm Jean.

Default Just got a new in box SS35C (white lettering) but I still have no US made body

Hi,

The latest body needs 250pf

The old one 450pf

Or is it the stylus that needs more capacitance ?

It does sound much better already on a new body (less than than 1 side played)

If they have white lettering then they are US Made ?

Mine came the specification paper : SS35C and SS78E

0.6 mil spherical

The cartridge body if they are printed (made in USA) are the vintage ?

I got the stylus for $20

Thanks

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by thinker10 View Post
    Hi,

The latest body needs 250pf

The old one 450pf

Or is it the stylus that needs more capacitance ?

It does sound much better already on a new body (less than than 1 side played)

If they have white lettering then they are US Made ?

Mine came the specification paper : SS35C and SS78E

0.6 mil spherical

The cartridge body if they are printed (made in USA) are the vintage ?

I got the stylus for $20

Thanks
    Hi "thinker10",

Before going any further, please provide your real first name and approximate geographical location, and add the info to your profile, as this is now required of all members. You have been asked to do this before! Your failure to comply this time may result in your account being suspended, with no further warning, therefore please provide the information requested on your next visit.

Cheers!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Many thanks, Jean, for adding the info requested to your profile!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Jean.

Thank You

I just got a US made body

The top end is very clean and the bass is to die for

I don't have enough capacitance just about 250pf

Shure say at least 400pf

But it sound great even with the NOS stylus not even broken-in (vtf at 4.45 grams)

I am lucking because someone in the past had soldered on one of + pins, but I was able to removed it with a sharp razor blade .

I was happy to hear that channel still working

Thanks

I'm Jean.

I am busy working lately

I have the USA Made SC35C mounted on Technics Headshell with the 3 grams weight

I have it at 4 grams now

Is 3.5 grams enough when playing 12 inch single especially 33.3 rpm that are cut with full stereo bass

45 rpm are easier to play

I ask because the minimum was 4 grams

No one mention the USA stylus is a 0.6 mil and the current one is 0.7 mil

Thank You

I'm Andr'e.

I don't have enough capacitance just about 250pf

Shure say at least 400pf
    Recommended Capacitance should also include your Pick-Up arm cabling capacitance..

But it sound great even with the NOS stylus not even broken-in (vtf at 4.45 grams)
    I'd never sleep again if my needle were tracking at 4+ grm

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213