+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FreeSat broadcast quality

I'm seldomaroundnow.

lol, I like that they had to create a special lens just so that the light hitting the sensor was good enough. So, if Japan starts broadcasting S.H.V. by 2020, I imagine the rest if us European retards can expect it by century's end.

You can get NHK in HD on FreeSat, if that's your bag, Chris?
    Simon.

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Malenfant View Post
    Chris, i think you'll find it's otherwise known as 4K & i might be wrong, but i'm sure the Yanks have been broadcasting it for a couple of years on selected stations & transmitters

E2A:- 4K broadcasting. You might like to look up UHDTV as well
    Well it did state it was the 1st of its kind .

4K appears to be 3840x2160/25p , this Japanese system is higher than that @ 7680-by-4320 pixels
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Chris.

This seems to be a very good explanation to the European HD standards .

http://www.burnyourbonus.info/hdtv-faq/faq2.html
    Chris

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

You may well be right I haven't done much research as if it's not available there doesn't appear to be a lot of point in filling my head with worthless information
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by sburrell View Post
    lol, I like that they had to create a special lens just so that the light hitting the sensor was good enough. So, if Japan starts broadcasting S.H.V. by 2020, I imagine the rest if us European retards can expect it by century's end.

You can get NHK in HD on FreeSat, if that's your bag, Chris?
    Lol its not my bag , you asked if people could be more factual ! I'm trying to be factual

Bog standard HD is good enough for me at 720p or 1080i
    Chris

I'm seldomaroundnow.

Mark, 4K, it turns out, refers to ~4000 pixels horizontally (BroadcastEngineering.com), whilst (as Chris has subsequently posted) the NHK IP broadcast is greater than 4000 pixels in the vertical.
    According to this article, the ITU-R (International Telecommunications Union - Radiocommunication sector) is, as of April 2011, still standardising the 4K format, whilst also researching the successor, 8K.
    The reason, by the way, for 4K specifying the horizontal resolution as opposed to the vertical (as we, as consumers, are accustomed to) is:
    because this made it easier to handle the many different aspect ratios, which could then be addressed by varying the vertical resolution.
    (link)
    Interesting, huh? Tell you what, it makes me keen to know which cinemas in my area use 4K projectors.
    EDIT: Chris - I'm not sure I believe in facts any more, only statements that are either more or less convincing - after all, we as individuals decide what we believe (see Michel Foucault). That's why I recommended "respectable reference materials". Thanks for trying, though!
    DOUBLE EDIT: Makes me glad I'm sticking to DVD just now - I'll wait for 4K to take off for consumers before replacing my collection I think
    Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by sburrell View Post
    Tell you what, it makes me keen to know which cinemas in my area use 4K projectors.
    Hi Simon, i gave up on cinema years ago

Ok, so it's nothing new but i have a nice 120" screen with a 1080P projector... No people in the way, no idiots making noise or crunching on popcorn I can pause it & go to the loo if needed, i can have a cigarette when i want

I guess i do have an odd TV though which is superb with widescreen stuff! I guess it'd be called 2.56K (2560 x 1080).

Having said that though, if you pick your time right......

E2A:-I should add that i no longer watch any kind of broadcast signal either, what's on TV these days honestly doesn't interest me a great deal
    Bests, Mark

I'm seldomaroundnow.

120''? 10 Feet? That's the width of my entire front room. I'm a little confused though - you say it has a 1080p projector, but then refer to it as a "TV". Is it a screen/projector combo or an all-in-one unit (eg. back-projection)?
    Simon.

If you look at my signature Simon you'll see i have both a 1080P projector (Mitsubishi HC5000) & a Philips 21/9 superwidescreen TV

So both in the same room In fact if i remember right you can click on the bit that says "main system" & it'll take you to my gallery thread where you can see them both (& in action)..
    Bests, Mark

I'm seldomaroundnow.

Kind of sums it up for me…
    Last edited by sburrell; 22-08-2011 at 00:51.
    Simon.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast