+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FreeSat broadcast quality

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

You sure about the 720i bit ?
    IIRC my Panasonic Freesat equipped TV displays 1080i in the top left of the screen when there's a dish attached and the Freesat selected to view.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

1080i and 720p are more or less the same resolution , all HD is currently broadcast in 1080i but its not the same as 1080p ! The bandwith is too large , only bluray offers 1080p.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm notAlone.

HD is broadcasted in 720p in US, plus Belgium and Norway.
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

I'm Chris.

I think Japan is the only country to broadcast in 1080p , no surprises there lol.
    Chris

I'm Dave.

I have a Samsung SyncMaster 2450 as my main TV display, because it is connected to my Humax HD PVR and so don't need a TV as such.

It does indeed sound as if the monitor is faulty, because I get stunning HD and SD pictures on mine. I actually got best results setting the monitor to Intelligent Colour on AV mode. The results are breathtaking, so I wish you luck with the replacement

And if you need to share notes about setting it up, then do PM me and we can talk it through so you get the best results.

Dave

I'm seldomaroundnow.

I think it's about time there were respectable reference materials presented in a thread like this (instead of tid-bits from - no offence - people who may or may not know what they're talking about), so how about we start with this, from the European Broadcasting Union website:
    Technical Report 005 - Information Paper on HDTV Formats (February 2010)
    A very interesting (and concise, so don't worry) read.

The conclusion is that 720p offers a better subjective experience for the viewer, especially with fast-motion content (eg. football).

1080p/50 is mentioned only as a future format, not a currently available format, though of course being only a European paper it doesn't take into account innovations and production improvements in Japan (for example).

I'd like it if people could similarly back up their statements with equally respectable sources. I'll repeat: no offence intended; however, this is a technical discussion now, so genuine citations would be nice.
    Simon.

I'm seldomaroundnow.

ursus262: aha, someone else who took the monitor-as-TV-display route. I checked out that model and it sounds nice, especially the 2ms response time. Mine's only quoted at 8ms, but according to the review that sold me on it it should have been more than ample for my purposes. *shrug*

You know, it's funny: internet purchasing makes products cheaper because stores have lower overheads, but because you can't view the product first it's a bit of a crapshoot. OTOH, brick and mortar stores are more expensive because of the overheads, but whilst it's possible to view the products prior to purchase, so few of them set up the TVs with any kind of view to optimising the display for viewing purposes, it defeats the purpose.

Both funny and sad, really, like much of Life...
    Simon.

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Quote Originally Posted by sburrell View Post
    1080p/50 is mentioned only as a future format, not a currently available format, though of course being only a European paper it doesn't take into account innovations and production improvements in Japan (for example).
    It also doesn't take into account what can be had out the back end of a quality scaler like the Calibre Vantage HD2. This will happily double the frame rate of 1080P images.

If you aren't happy taking my word for it then go look at the specs Oh, it'll happilly do the very same with 24P as well (48P)
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by sburrell View Post
    I think it's about time there were respectable reference materials presented in a thread like this (instead of tid-bits from - no offence - people who may or may not know what they're talking about), so how about we start with this, from the European Broadcasting Union website:
    Technical Report 005 - Information Paper on HDTV Formats (February 2010)
    A very interesting (and concise, so don't worry) read.

The conclusion is that 720p offers a better subjective experience for the viewer, especially with fast-motion content (eg. football).

I'd like it if people could similarly back up their statements with equally respectable sources. I'll repeat: no offence intended; however, this is a technical discussion now, so genuine citations would be nice.

Ok , well Japan is most certainly ahead of the rest of the world as far as HD is concerned , Fact !

http://www.hdtv-news.com/news/super-...ion-broadcast/

Chris

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post
    Ok , well Japan is most certainly ahead of the rest of the world as far as HD is concerned , Fact !

http://www.hdtv-news.com/news/super-...ion-broadcast/

Chris, i think you'll find it's otherwise known as 4K & i might be wrong, but i'm sure the Yanks have been broadcasting it for a couple of years on selected stations & transmitters

E2A:- 4K broadcasting. You might like to look up UHDTV as well
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast