+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FreeSat broadcast quality

I'm seldomaroundnow.

Default FreeSat broadcast quality

Hi,

I recently bought a Samsung SyncMaster F2380M monitor to use as a main display for my FreeSat box and notebook (when playing DVDs).

One thing I read about in a review was that, without the right settings, the F2380M can suffer from some noticeable ghosting. I applied the settings recommended in the review, and on the whole I'm satisfied.

But sometimes there seems to be noticeable ghosting or smearing when I watch a FreeSat broadcast, such as for example Star Trek: TNG on CBS Action. Is this a result of the broadcast, or my display? It happens even with small movements.

I also sometimes experience what I can only call, "purple smearing," when people move across the screen - a noticeable purple after-effect coming most noticeably from people's eyes. It was most prominent in a recent HD broadcast of Penn & Teller's Fool Us, but also happens with DVDs played from my notebook over a different cable and through a different interface on the TV.

This display is very well reviewed and I am pleased with the colour reproduction, but I have to figure out whether there's something wrong with it before too long so I can request an exchange etc.

Cheers all.
    Simon.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Hmmm, never experienced anything like that with my Panasonic, the freesat HD programmes are scarily pin sharp. Isn't that a PC monitor rather than a TV though - not sure you will be able to achieve the quality you desire through a monitor, or at least that's been my experience with monitors?
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Turn alll the bells & whistles off & see how the picture looks...
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm seldomaroundnow.

Hey Tim,

I think what monitors lack (as opposed to TVs) is sophisticated upscaling hardware (oh, and obviously a tuner ) and I suspect this is what's responsible for some of the effects I'm seeing. It does present itself more in SD broadcasts that HD (if at all), which would make sense.

The purple smearing, though, I accept is a display issue that occurs in heavily red scenes (eg. Twin Peaks or Penn and Teller). I'm going to have to get in touch with Samsung to find a solution.

Oh, Mark, yeah, the first thing I did was turn off all the "bells and whistles" (I think Dynamic Contrast was the only one, actually). This was recommended by one of the reviews.

I'll chat to Samsung. Cheers dudes.
    Simon.

I'm seldomaroundnow.

Samsung uplifted the monitor yesterday under their warranty scheme. There's definitely something wrong with it - I'm using my Apple Cinema Display (same size, higher resolution) to watch TV in the meantime, and I'm getting absolutely none of the problems associated with the Samsung.

Fingers crossed.

By the way, Sharp have a new TV out, 32'' for £199, the LC32SH130. It has a built-in PVR feature, all you have to do is provide the storage via USB. Anyone any experience with it? Otherwise, what would people recommend for a 720p TV for no more than £250? Second-hand?

Thanks.
    Simon.

If i remember correctly i bought a 28" but 1080P for about that price or less given fleabay discount vouchers over a year ago? Might have been 27" though, no matter it had a good spec & a 3 year warranty

I wouldn't bother with any 720P or 768P TVs or monitors nowadays.. Everything is being thrown at 1080P so that is where the best picture will be with modern processing
    Bests, Mark

I'm seldomaroundnow.

Does it matter that I won't be using any 1080p material? I don't have blu-ray or a 1080p console, and FreeSat HD is all 720p.
    Simon.

Hmm, in that case you may well be better off with a native 720P TV/monitor as it won't have to process a thing. Apologies as i can't comment on Freesat picture quality as i haven't seen it.

Sky on the other hand use either 720P or 1080i, if you were watching that i'd suggest a 1080P TV as de-interlacing isn't too dificult & on 1080i material you'd get a vastly superior picture
    Bests, Mark

I'm seldomaroundnow.

Aha, I didn't know that Sky did actually broadcast some shows in 1080. Ach, I'll never get Sky, I'm too stingy. Besides, I'm happy with FreeSat HD. I guess a 720p TV it is!

Thanks Mark.

Oh who's the chappy in your avatar? Your good self?
    Simon.

No, not me, i hope i don't look quite so stroppy

Mr Brian Williams, AKA (B) Lustmord... Love his music, but i guess it's kind of dark & mysterious in certain ways.

Kind of how he looks I'm not too far off, just no goatee
    Bests, Mark

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast