• 3 out of 5

5 27.78%
  • 4 out of 5

8 44.44%
  • 5 out of 5

3 16.67%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Album Club: 10.08.2011: Allman Brothers - Live at Fillmore East (1971) (vinyl,cd)

I'm Simon.

Default Album Club: 10.08.2011: Allman Brothers - Live at Fillmore East (1971) (vinyl,cd)

Spotify Link: http://open.spotify.com/album/35w2w6W38bXCo4bG1akRe9 (Note from Alex_UK: Unfortunately it appears that Spotify does not support the "long" tracks of this album... I am trying to see if I can find any alternative streams - this is the best so far, though not the actual album: http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/concer...rtID=1656|7096 )

Wiki link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At_Fillmore_East

I've decided to go for what I think is a classic album.

the reason is that I don't really do classics but I love this album to pieces. It catches the classic line up with Duane and Gregg Allman along with Dickie Betts taking their music from the record and making them feel so fresh and involved. Taking songs and expanding them almost improv style and keeping your attention - there's a couple of very long tracks on there.

I don't think there's another album I've bought more versions of. Originally it was released as a double cd set and then re-issued with the same music all on one CD, when cd time approached 80 mins. Classic reissued it on double vinyl and subsequently a Deluxe CD version has been released with the cirrect running order and with all the tracks from the concert.

Due to the lenght of a some of the songs the running order was never correct on vinyl to allow.

Duane Allman was best known, I think at the time, for Derek and The Dominoes and he was a talent sadly cut short.
    Last edited by Alex_UK; 10-08-2011 at 11:15.

I'm Keith.

Excellent - I've got that (single CD version) and haven't played it for ages. Looking forward to listening closely to it tomorrow (whilst my dad's at daycare).
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

I'm ILOB.

I shall listen tonight and the weekend
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Dave.

I have the original of this on vinyl and indeed listened to it last week.
    In - Tweaked Lenco GL75, Linn Ittok, Ortofon Cadenza Black
    Through - Croft Micro 25 RS LS, power R monoblocks, RIAA R. Ortofon ST-80 SE SUT.
    Along - Tellurium Q Ultra Black cables
    Out - Harbeth SHL5 Plus XD's

Street photography

Dave

I'm Simon.

Thanks to Alex for adding the links on for me.

I actually own the 4 versions of the album that I mention in my OP

I'll be doing the deluxe cd version this week and then the Classic vinyl issue on the weekend

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

John and I will have another trawl around this evening to see if we can find any better versions of the longer songs, but I think what we've got should be enough to give everyone a reasonable listen.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm John.

Great. I've got this so I'll be participating
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

Location: Swaledale, North Yorkshire + The Valley of Longevity

I'm Toooldnowtogrowup.

Wow .. what a great start ... simply one of the top 3 BEST EVER live albums ... I've been listening to this since almost the day of it's release in 1971 and I've still got my first LP copy of this which must be 39 yrs old now !! ( couldn't aford it until 73' haha! )

I guess we are not supposed to comment just yet .. but I can already feel this choice inspiring me to head for Ebay and search out some more versions of this album .. ....
    Brian
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Smile, breathe and go slowly ..........................

I'm ILOB.

I got a few links if you do not have the album
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91XHUivFMrU You don't love me
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22MRGWnPPIU In memory of Elisabeth Reed
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXA35JnaeKA Whiping Post
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm ChrisB.

A good album choice, if you don't mind me saying.

Right then - the whole album is available legally on Grooveshark & you don't need to join or register. However, the sound quality is not as good as the Spotify version but at least you get to hear it all.
    Here are the links:

Statesboro Blues
    Done Somebody Wrong
    Stormy Monday
    You Don't Love Me
    Hot 'lanta
    In Memory of Elizabeth Reed
    Whipping Post

.........enjoy!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast