+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Belkin noise sniffer £20

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by colinB View Post
    Im of to test all the sockets, see if i can get to th bottom of this mystery.
    Happy sniffing Colin

Might have to get one as I'm intrigued now
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm colin.

I bought a Belkin pf30 after my sniff experiments. No noise now. The telly looks a bit better and the sound seems to be different so worth while i think.
    Even though the neighbours are on holiday i found no noise when testing at midnight.
    Technic 1210, PS3, AVI neutron 2.1, Icon Audio p1 phono stage.

I'm Rob.

What is the noise telling you?
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm colin.

Noisy mains?

I'm Mark.

I bought a Belkin pf30 after my sniff experiments. No noise now. The telly looks a bit better and the sound seems to be different so worth while i think.
    Even though the neighbours are on holiday i found no noise when testing at midnight.

Is there any difference between the pf30 and a Tacima 6way mains extension rfi/emi?

I'm Confused.

Default Noisy mains or ........ ?

Hi Guys,
    Just been re-jigging my system so I thought I'd make use of one of these Noise Sniffers and found some very surprising results (to me ) . My listening room doubles as our main viewing room so TV and Sky box etc. are on the same 'sideboard' as everything else.
    I tried the Noise Sniffer on bog standard wall sockets around the house and found the noise intolerant (and going erratically off scale) at sensitivity 4 on most of the sockets. I then plugged in into a 'proper' hi-fi extension block (if there is such a thing ) which in turn was plugged into the Belkin PF30. Result: up to sensitivity 9 (max) and getting the odd crackle - brilliant, I thought.
    Whilst I was doing all this the hifi itself was shut down completely, nothing powered up, but the TV was on, on a Sky HD channel. And then the adverts came on, and it began to crackle a bit more, particularly when the scene changed, some being quite noisy. I watched and listened, fascinated, and the changes in crackleing continued to coincide exactly with the changing scenes - weird, what?? At two or 3 points the quickly changing screen was predominantly red in colour, as you might represent a scene from hell, and the noise was intolerable again until the scene changed, only to return when the 'scenes from hell' returned.
    I watched this until the adverts went off, several minutes, and there is no doubt in my mind that I was seeing and hearing a real phenomena and not just a series of coincidences. When the normal programme resumed I again got just the odd crackle at sensitivity 9 - the PF30 is certainly doing something, but what ?
    Anybody got any explanation or fancy repeating the experiment?
    Cheers,
    Dave.
    EDIT: I forgot to mention that the SKY box is plugged directly into the 'Always On' socket and the TV (Viao LCD) is plugged into a 'Switched' socket on the PF30.
    DaveK.

My System:
    Power: Belkin PF40, Custom.hifi.cables Hydra and DC PSUs.
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Speakers: Mission 774s with added super tweeters
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

I'm Jerry.

Welcome back Dave but I still hate your avatar. It makes me feel sick.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm colin.

With the sniffer on and no equipment switched on the noise jumps about like a police radio. I have a large fridge upstairs so could be the switching. Strip lights seem to make little difference. Not sure if the sound has improved or just my imagination but tv is better.
    Tried the sniffer through my Merlin block and the same noise level compared with direct into wall socket. Surprised as i do remember the Merlin block and cables dropping the noise floor significantly when i first used it.
    Looks like its better than the Tacima.

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
    Welcome back Dave but I still hate your avatar. It makes me feel sick.
    Same here.

I'm David.

Im of to test all the sockets, see if i can get to th bottom of this mystery.
    can you post a link to it please mate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast