+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sony SCD777ES tweaking

Hello Mark,
    your upgrades seems much more studied (I mean they have an history!) then the late comers in this sector of the market)
    Referred to my player the main problems are shipping the heavy equipment from Italia to Britannia with all risks and costs.
    Isn't it possible to do an upgrade by ourselves, a sort of upgrade-kit, as Audionote does with their products? I suppose that the answer will be "no" because it's not possible to find the necessary know-how in an average hi-fi technician.
    Kind regards,
    Piero

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Historicus View Post
    Hello Mark,
    your upgrades seems much more studied (I mean they have an history!) then the late comers in this sector of the market)
    Referred to my player the main problems are shipping the heavy equipment from Italia to Britannia with all risks and costs.
    Isn't it possible to do an upgrade by ourselves, a sort of upgrade-kit, as Audionote does with their products? I suppose that the answer will be "no" because it's not possible to find the necessary know-how in an average hi-fi technician.
    Kind regards,
    Piero
    Hello Piero

There is a company in Italy who have started to use our products and modify equipment like the Sony SCD-1 and Electrocompaniet EMC-1. I have contacted the owner reagrding your enquiry and I am waiting on a reply. This is a new company to us so I do not have any history with there upgrades, services and after sales support. A modification for the SCD-777ES does require a high skill level and I would want to ensure a high standard and professional install can be made before endorsing another company. I appreciate that shipping does involve risk, but we have taken in several Sony SCD-777ES over the years from various parts of Europe and never had any problems. We have a customer from Germany who has shipped his Sony SCD-1 on three seperate occasions for custom upgrades. We can supply certain parts of the upgrade for DIY install such as clock, clock power supply, regulators, Bybee Purifiers. Several years ago we sold comprehensive kits for the Sony SCD-1 with instructions but our approach has changed and we discount the parts for an upgrade package and add a labour charge so the end cost it closer to the DIY price.

Best Regards,
    Mark Bartlett

Hello Mark, I think that the best would be if we have private mail contacts because I suppose not everyone here is interested in Audiocom upgrades from Italy.
    kind regards,
    Piero

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

On the contrary, Piero. That is what this section of the forum is about. It means that useful information exchanged is available to any members interested. However, if you wish to conduct your business privately, that's entirely your choice

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Nobody.

To Mark Barklett

I'm presently using a Sony XB-930E-UK Spec fixed mech till i get unought money together to buy a Snoy SCD-1 machine.I'm actually very happy with the 930 sound even though it's obviously mid-market machine....

The SCD-1 is a truly beautiful machine if not the best looking high end machine this decade.I understand your mods & wanting to promote them, this aside whats your views between the two machines minus SACD?. Please be open as i don't intend spending money on Audiocom upgrades.Please note i have no intentions about playing SACD discs.
    Last edited by Rare Bird; 31-03-2011 at 08:58.

Mark,

I think RB means to ask what you think of these players in standard form.

I'm Mark.

Hello Rare Bird,

I have upgraded many Sony SCD-777ES/SCD-1 units and they fair very well on CD playback when modified. My opinion when combining CD with SACD is that the ultimate performance of CD is compromised, whether it be because of the more complex analogue filtering used for SACD (as per SCD-1), or the front end digital signal processing. I have always found that a ‘CD only’ player does CD better. The best option with the SCD-1/777ES is to modify it as ‘transport only’ and add an external DAC like the Benchmark DAC1, this combination has very good synergy.

Best Regards,
    Mark Bartlett

(Thanks Steve!)

Hi, I just want to ask if you transform the SCD-1 & SCD-777ES as transport only with an external DAC would it be still possible to hear SACDs bypassing the DAC?

Thanks a lot for your answer!
    Last edited by Historicus; 23-12-2008 at 20:29.

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Historicus View Post
    Hi, I just want to ask if you transform the SCD-1 & SCD-777ES as transport only with an external DAC would it be still possible to hear SACDs bypassing the DAC?

Thanks a lot for your answer!
    Hello

If we upgrade the SCD-1 & SCD-777ES as a transport only you can still use the analogue outputs for CD & SACD. Although the focus of the upgrades is on the 'transport' section of the player (digital), the benefits of this (new clock, Bybee purifiers, etc) will be heard when using the players internal DAC's for listening to CD & SACD.

Best Wishes
    Mark Bartlett

Hello Mark, thanks for your kind reply, but can't I simply use my SCD-777ES/SCD-1 as transport combined with a DAC through the existing digital output with a good digital cable without any tweak on the player? Certainly the SCD-777ES/SCD-1 wouldn't have the benefits of a direct upgrade (to listen the SACD) but in this way it could be for me much easier.
    Can you confirm me about the quality of the Benchmark DAC because some here in my country has some doubts on this product (maybe because Benchmark is a more computer involved company as actual hi-fi producers that, referred to their prices, change as Midas king in pure gold). Maybe I must listen to different DAC to find the right one on my gear. Here everyone prices the low costing Oppo players but, in reference to the original SCD-777ES/SCD-1 they don't sound as bad but even worse!

Merry Xmas,
    Piero

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast