+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Subwoofers & DSP or nearly bye bye room

I'm fuckoff.

Interesting, so as you mentioned a bit further up, the 'work' that these things do equates to more power drain on the sub, makes sense, no such thing as a free meal.

So in theory, if you had the dual core version that does the whole system, that same drain would apply to all of it (or depending on where the antimode needs to deal with frequencies anyway).

So to extrapolate things a bit, wouldn't decent room treatment be the most 'effective' way of dealing with room modes etc? (Albeit more work).

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Room treatment can only really deal with frequencies that it can absorb. In the case of attempting to get rid of something in the deep bass, you might be looking at over 6ft thick of sound absorbent.

You just need to look at transmission line loudspeakers to realise this, most still output deep bass as the line can't get infinitely long to absorb the rear wave, so they use it as a delay to reinforce the output from the front of the speaker.

I'm coming to my own conclusions on this & you are quite right! The wider the bandwidth that the DSP corrects the more power you'll need to attain the original volume level without it

So I reckon splitting the bass into a couple of bands will result in less amplifier power being used for the same volume level, even if it means more amplifiers & drivers

As mentioned earlier, it'll be interesting to actually see how much more power these make your system use, though this will be room dependant. Again though, a small room will win through, as the room modes can only go down to a certain frequency. So bigger room = more correction & power used by the amp
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm fuckoff.

Cool, I didn't realise that big rooms could equals big problems.

I'm going to have a go with a dual core version of one of these, I'll let you know how I get on; are you not interested in trying one out?

Btw, I don't know if this is your kinda thing but I'm guessing it might be:

http://www.discogs.com/ASCSam-KDC-De...elease/3445545

I heard this in a record store a while ago and thought wtf is this; I wasn't really ready for it then but I was intruiged enough to check it out again and really like it now.

Here's some tracks from it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ2af...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiXat...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL1db...feature=fvwrel

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Hi Martin, the music looks like it could be my kind of thing, I'll check it out at some stage soon - cheers

Looks like it won't cost me a lot to split the bass frequencies at 40Hz, so I'd have a 10 - 40Hz band & a 40 - 120Hz band. While it means I need more drivers I already have some suitable, I also have amplification as long as I build a few kits I have here

Just need a crossover to split the left & right channels & the jobs a good one. Another DCX2496 is going to be less than half the price of two Antimodes, so things haven't worked out too badly at all

Who says you can't get things done when laying down all day
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567