+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: QUAD ESL 57's with super tweeters and sub woofers

I'm Dave.

Many, many moons ago, ProAc made the ProStatic. This employed a 12 inch ATC bass driver in a cabinet the width of the ESL 57 which then stood on top. To extend the HF a Motorola piezo tweeter was attached to the front panel.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    What are you playing on the stats? - I've heard that they are wonderful for classical stuff but don't really rock. I'm expecting to be wrestled to the ground for saying that so if I'm wrong then thats cool.

I got the ESL's to partner the Radfords But i intend to listen to stuff like piano jazz, maybe a little classical, accoustic and vocal recordings. I think I'm also going to dig out my Garrard 301 and SME 3009 out and get them fettled up to use in this all valve system. I may even get a specific valve phono stage when funds permit. This is my 2nd system, the other is the 1210 system (as listed in my signature) which mainly handles prog rock and heavy/thrash metal and all the fantastic heavy rock from the 70's Whilst the 1210 can handle pretty much anything I fancied a 2nd system for easy listening and wanted some with a "warm" sound to it unlike the 1210 which is so forensic it'll rip yeah face off given half a chance.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Claudio.

Default Stacked pairs in cabinets

I know this doesn't involve a woofer or supertweeter, but I found some pics of stacked pairs in lovely wooden cabinets here...

http://www.record-producer.com/?a=5202

I'm Andrew.

I've seen other projects like this in the past but they are just insane!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Paul.

I heard some ESL 57's today driven with original Quad II's and i thought they sounded superb, such a big, mature sound with plenty enough bass for me.
    Paul.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Spur07 View Post
    I heard some ESL 57's today driven with original Quad II's and i thought they sounded superb, such a big, mature sound with plenty enough bass for me.
    Well, I've been using mine (unmodified) for nearly forty years. I wouldn't change them for anything else, simply because they do what is most important for me. I put up with their shortcomings, because those are not so important to me.

However if you can stack them, the benefits gained are very worthwhile. The sense of presence is palpable, and they can be played louder with some useful extension to the bass response. Oh - if only I had the room!
    Barry

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    However if you can stack them, the benefits gained are very worthwhile. The sense of presence is palpable, and they can be played louder with some useful extension to the bass response. Oh - if only I had the room!
    Strangely I always find that there tends to be a big gap between loudspeakers & ceiling, are you sure you don't have room Barry, it's all going upwards after all
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Malenfant View Post
    Strangely I always find that there tends to be a big gap between loudspeakers & ceiling, are you sure you don't have room Barry, it's all going upwards after all
    Haha - yes I have the room, however it's a matter of aesthetics: the stacked pairs would dominate my listening/living room. Stacked pairs would cut down the light and I do like plenty of natural daylight.

And before Marco reminds me that I ought not sacrifice sound quality for the sake of appearance, I will say again: I would entertain stacked pairs if the room was considerably wider where the speakers are positioned.
    Barry

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

I'm assuming you have a window behind the speakers then Barry, that didn't come into my equations unfortunately

I understand... Try listening with your eyes closed like Martin does
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by montiverdi View Post
    I know this doesn't involve a woofer or supertweeter, but I found some pics of stacked pairs in lovely wooden cabinets here...

http://www.record-producer.com/?a=5202

HI

i think you better pop into the welcome section and introduce yourself and you hi-fi taste in music etc. before the forum police come to get you
    [B]Class A , A,B Amplification[/B\]
    Marantz PM4
    Turntable
    Thorens TD 125 MK1 , SME 3009 S2 Non Improved , Shure V15 II , SME 2000 Plinth
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Marantz 6005 , Beresford Caiman , Paul Hynes SR4
    Loudspeakers
    Tannoy 615 MK2
    Speaker Cable , Digital Coax , Interconnects
    QED Speaker Cable , Chord Coax Digital , Nakamichi Interconnect , Belkin Interconnect

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast