+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Recommended Delivery Companies

MartinT Guest

Generally I've been very happy with both supplier's packaging and courier services, although it does help greatly to have everything delivered at work so that I don't have to go and collect.

The exceptions are City Link (the less said, the better), and one eBay clown who sent me an LP in a large jiffy bag

I'm graham.

I have a guy I use regularly. He is a sort of "man with van" type service.
    For instance he picked up a pair of Quad ESL's in Edinburgh and brought them to Manchester. Door to door and he charged me £40. They were picked up without and packaging whatsoever and he wrapped them for me and they arrived without a scratch. He has delivered servers worth thousands and all sorts of delicate stuff all over the countryside. If you are prepared to plan ahead he is great.
    If anyone wants his number PM me and I'll be happy to pass it on. (and I don't normally recommend people!).

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Quote Originally Posted by snapper View Post
    Maybe avoid FedEx after seeing this.

I was nearly going to start a thread about Fedex as things went a bit wrong very recently However, they appear to be back on track & I should be in receipt of some kit I bought from France in a couple of days

Lets just say that my gear got delivered to exactly the right address but in the wrong town Thankfully there are some honest people out there still, with my getting on the phone when I saw "delivered" on the tracking site & this other chap getting in touch it was retrieved & is now on the way to where it should be going

I hope
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Dominic.

Have any of you heard of ACP? They are really cheap and have companies all over the UK.

Cheers
    Natalie

I'm Julian.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic Harper View Post
    Have any of you heard of ACP? They are really cheap and have companies all over the UK.
    Yes, they delivered a power amp to me using an overnight service with no hassle at all. I would definitely use them myself but you can only use their Europe service if you have an account with them.
    Sonore Rendu - Cambridge Audio Edge W - Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

I'm Dan.

ARGH!

I am having a terrible time with DPD.

I preordered 2 copies of the new Fairport Convention book, one for myself, one for a birthday gift at the beginning of September. There was a delay with the books and they did not start shipping them till the start of December but that's another story.

The book that was a gift arrived with no problems. The book for myself they shipped a couple of weeks ago and I was informed via email. I checked the post for the next few days - nothing. I had to chase them to see where my book was, and I was directed to their shipping company DPD, who told me that they had attempted to deliver yesterday but were unsuccessful. Perfectly plausible, I was probably at work.
    I tried to get them to deliver to my work address, they refused. I tried to get them to deliver on a Saturday, it was not an option they offered. I didn't want to collect from the depot as it was a bit of a trek and in a rough area, so I decided to have it delivered today, Christmas eve, as I knew I would not be working so I could stay in and wait for it.

Sure enough I got an email this morning telling me that it would be delivered between 12 and 1pm today, so I stayed in and waited for it. Surprise surprise it didn't arrive.

I scoured the internet for a customer service number, and on about the 5th try managed to find one where I could speak to a human being, who told me that my address was clearly wrong, because there was one digit wrong on my postcode (9LR instead of 8LR). He told me that we couldn't change it and I would have to collect from the depot. I reluctantly agreed and he gave me the address and told me the van would be back at the depot between 6:30 and 7:30 and they shut at 7:30. Ho hum.

So I aimed to get to the depot for about 6:45, and found upon arriving that we had been sent to the wrong address. We drove around the industrial park for a while and in the end I found out by googling that they had moved to new premises. We drove back through the town to another address only to be told that it wasn't a collection depot, and we were given a third address and told again that we should be ok because the depot closed at 7:30.

Predictably enough we arrived at our third destination at about 7pm where a security guard unapologetically told us that the depot was closed until the 27th and rather sarcastically wished us a merry christmas.

Great service.

I'm Neil.

For me, Royal Mail whenever possible, Parcelforce if not. Also, I use Anyvan & select positively reviewed men in vans when the couriers / post becomes too expensive. I absolutely, positively avoid Yodel & myHermes due to repeated bad experiences with fragile goods.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Julian.

With the demise of the Royal Mail's 'Standard Parcels' service, it has become very expensive to send relatively cheap and light weight items.

I have started using Collectplus.co.uk and so far so good. Website is well designed, easy to use and offers a superb tracking service. They have a network of drop-off points - I'm lucky enough to be able to use a convenience store 5 mins walk away that is actually nearer than the Post Office. If you put in your post code on the website it will show you where your local drop-off points are.

In terms of prices, Royal Mail wanted £8 to send a parcel that weighed just over a kilo - with Collectplus this was £4.89 and you get. Of course with much heavier items you have a wide range of couriers to choose from.
    Sonore Rendu - Cambridge Audio Edge W - Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by julesd68 View Post

I have started using Collectplus.co.uk and so far so good. Website is well designed, easy to use and offers a superb tracking service. They have a network of drop-off points - I'm lucky enough to be able to use a convenience store 5 mins walk away that is actually nearer than the Post Office. If you put in your post code on the website it will show you where your local drop-off points are.
    This is the service favoured by Amazon for returns.

I'm Neil.

UPS if you are fearful of anything going wrong...
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast