+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY mains cables

I'm Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    I believe it is one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audio-Frie...#ht_1815wt_905

I use their Silver & Gold version on my amp which is a bit more expensive, but never felt the need to change it.
    I was just about to post this, Jerry is singing the praises of his new power amp and he uses this mains cable with it.
    DIY is fine and dandy, but just try selling it on!

Nathan.

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    This is what i paid per lead to make them how i wanted (too look good)

1mtr Belden '19364' mains cable - £6.75
    Standard Wattgate 320 - £16.58
    2 mtr Braided expandable sleeve - £2.98
    1 mtr 20mm Heatshrink Sleeve £1.59
    High Quality black mains plug £5.99

I can beat that price hands down and still look good

I'm Mark.

I use their Silver & Gold version on my amp which is a bit more expensive, but never felt the need to change it.

I've had these in the past, keeping my opinions to myself

I'm Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by worthingpagan View Post
    I've had these in the past, keeping my opinions to myself
    I'd be interested in your opinions as I was thinking of getting a couple of them.

Nathan
    DIY is fine and dandy, but just try selling it on!

Nathan.

I'm seldomaroundnow.

Wow, lots of responses.

RochaCullen: I guess my question is, how much of a discount did you get? According to the current prices of those components through your links, it's actually slightly more expensive to construct that cable yourself than to buy it pre-made on the same site. But that's actually the cable I'm hoping to make - reviews appear to be good.

worthingpagan: Hmm, that's not too bad. If it proves too difficult to DIY a better cable for the money, I may go for that.

Alex_UK and Ali: That cable looks like another good option - I like that it's got silver connectors. But buying two would put me over budget by 50%.
    By the way, did you notice the tagline for that company?
    Some of the world’s great treasures are found in remote and ancient forest temples, surrounded by fiendish booby traps and the bones of many a foolhardy adventurer. Others are found on eBay.
    Cute

Right, well, tomorrow I'm going to try to source MK Silver-plated ToughPlugs and BELDEN 19364 cable locally to shave off the cost of P&P. Once I've done that I'll see where I stand.

Thanks for the advice so far
    Simon.

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by sburrell View Post
    Wow, lots of responses.

RochaCullen: I guess my question is, how much of a discount did you get? According to the current prices of those components through your links, it's actually slightly more expensive to construct that cable yourself than to buy it pre-made on the same site. But that's actually the cable I'm hoping to make - reviews appear to be good.

worthingpagan: Hmm, that's not too bad. If it proves too difficult to DIY a better cable for the money, I may go for that.

Alex_UK and Ali: That cable looks like another good option - I like that it's got silver connectors. But buying two would put me over budget by 50%.
    By the way, did you notice the tagline for that company?

Cute

Right, well, tomorrow I'm going to try to source MK Silver-plated ToughPlugs and BELDEN 19364 cable locally to shave off the cost of P&P. Once I've done that I'll see where I stand.

Thanks for the advice so far
    why the emphasis on the lowest possible price?

cheapest is never best in my experience, spending a bit more always reaps benefits

I'm Tom.

The cable on ebay is our old friend SY robotics cable designed for use on industrial machinery.

Buy cheap, buy twice. Wise words.

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Effem View Post
    The cable on ebay is our old friend SY robotics cable designed for use on industrial machinery.

Buy cheap, buy twice. Wise words.
    quite

I am honestly gobsmacked when anyone says that sy cable has improved their system, they would probably not know it is sy when commenting, the descriptions on e-bay are to be frank (no pun intended) taking the piss.

I'm Mark.

If you look closely at the picture of the contacts in the IEC connector the top contact is not even seated correctly, the gap between the 'prongs' of each contact is not the same, the gap in contacts at the bottom of the picture looks a bit too wide to grip a contact in a socket tightly.

It is a very low price though.

I'm Mark.

[QUOTE=sburrell;237353]

If you're sticking to your original budget of £25 for 2 cables you'll have about enough to buy 2 silver plated toughplugs and a metre of cable! You might be better off buying 2nd hand mate, or saving up a bit more and checking out Mark Grant or Mains Cables r us for accessories. At least you'll know the quality will be there

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast