+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY mains cables

I'm seldomaroundnow.

Default DIY mains cables

Hi,

I'm short on cash but long on time - is building my own DIY mains cable something a non-solder savvy chappy like me can do?

I'm looking at making two mains cables - one for my (AV) amp and one for my AV display. Both of these use the standard C15/C16 coupler (kettle plugs).

From what I've read, I should be looking at Belden 19364 cable or Mark Grant's DSP 2.5 dual screened power cable, and silver-plated mains plugs. Not sure what to get for the C15 connector though.

Ideally I'd like to make both cables for no more than £25 all-in. Doable?

Ta
    Simon.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Have a look here Simon, you'll get everything you need-

http://www.hificollective.co.uk/componentshome.html

I'm Mark.

Depends on what plugs you want to use. Cables range from about £3.50 pre metre right up to silly money. Supra cables 1.5mm is on offer for £8.50m at hificables.co.uk.

You can get good quality uk mains plugs for less than a couple of quid, but if you're after silver plated then it'll cost you a fair bit more. What do you want, quality or quantity?

I've made quite a few of my own cables and the average price is around £12 a cable inc plugs and connectors. Shop about a bit, you'll find better deals. Don't be shy to by stuff from Japan, some of it is very good quality compared to some of the bloated prices of the more well known brands

I'm Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by sburrell View Post
    Hi,

I'm short on cash but long on time - is building my own DIY mains cable something a non-solder savvy chappy like me can do?

I'm looking at making two mains cables - one for my (AV) amp and one for my AV display. Both of these use the standard C15/C16 coupler (kettle plugs).

From what I've read, I should be looking at Belden 19364 cable or Mark Grant's DSP 2.5 dual screened power cable, and silver-plated mains plugs. Not sure what to get for the C15 connector though.

Ideally I'd like to make both cables for no more than £25 all-in. Doable?

Ta
    I was in the same situation recently and ordered some kit from David who is on this forum and who also runs:
    http://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/

The cables were easy to put together, the components were of very good quality, and they do the job nicely.

For each cable I ordered:

I think david does a discount for AOS members.

Regards,

Nathan
    DIY is fine and dandy, but just try selling it on!

Nathan.

I'm Mark.

This cable is within your quoted budget, I have a couple and they work

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ixos-XHP12...item5887c62ba5

And you can always strip it down and add your own plugs and connectors if you want

I'm Dave.

I never really understand the fuss about mains cables, but these do seem to have two pairs twisted out of the three. The neutral and earth appear to be twisted - not sure what that does.

I can understand that running some signal cables near to mains cables might cause interference and problems (actually it does ...), though what can be done with the mains cables themselves other than screening them and earthing the screen I don't know. I'm not sure that twisting the live and neutral together would be a good idea - might introduce other problems.

I usually try to avoid running signal cables close to mains, or if I do avoid parallel runs, and use screened signal cables.

I view some of this as snake oil stuff, but I'm willing to reconsider.
    Dave

I'm Mark.

Dave, they only twist the neutral & earth wires together mate. I attached solid silver mains cables to my cd player & dvd & the difference was quite astonishing, but then so it should be, those cables cost around £200. That's not to say you have to pay that to gain a worthwhile improvement, as previously stated, I've made cables sourcing materials costing around £12 on avarage and they do work, though I don't understand the science behind it all, i'm only a humble decorator

I'm Nobody.

This is what i paid per lead to make them how i wanted (too look good)

1mtr Belden '19364' mains cable - £6.75
    Standard Wattgate 320 - £16.58
    2 mtr Braided expandable sleeve - £2.98
    1 mtr 20mm Heatshrink Sleeve £1.59
    High Quality black mains plug £5.99
    Last edited by Rare Bird; 27-07-2011 at 08:11. Reason: Cable model mistake

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Jerry mentioned on another thread about a £20 ebay cable that he liked, might be worth a look.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Jerry mentioned on another thread about a £20 ebay cable that he liked, might be worth a look.
    I believe it is one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audio-Frie...#ht_1815wt_905

I use their Silver & Gold version on my amp which is a bit more expensive, but never felt the need to change it.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast