+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Where to buy resistors for cartridge loading

Default resistor types

The most commonly used resistors are the metal film type. They're small and can handle some power. The film is constructed in a spiral around a ceramic substract. So it also is a coil with some induction (never specified!). The common tolerance is 1% (5 rings with the last one brown).
    There still are some old fashioned carbon types. They can be recognised because there's no "cap" at the ends. The connection wire is pushed in the center core of the carbon roll. This type holds carbon pressed in one piece. So there's no "ceramic roll", it's just a massive piece of carbon. So there's hardly an inductance. This type has a tolerance of 10 or even 20%. But it's prefered by a lot of tube lovers!
    Also available is a more "modern" type of carbon resistor. That one has caps on both ends. It's conctructed as a spiral around a ceramic roll. So there's induction again. Tolerances are 5 or 10%.

A different way to improve the "sound quality" is using bigger types, i.e. 1 Watt types. Those have less noise while still having a tolerance of 1% (metal film type).

Another way to improve the result is using small metal film ones but using two in parallel. In doing so the total induction will go lower and noise also decreases. The value should be twice the wanted value.

John
    Music is an emotional experience. Without it, living would be a dull habit...

I'm InSpace.

Quote Originally Posted by johnrtd View Post
    Another way to improve the result is using small metal film ones but using two in parallel. In doing so the total induction will go lower and noise also decreases. The value should be twice the wanted value.
    Ah!... nice to hear I'm doing something right.

I'm actually using parallel Shinkoh's at the moment. I've also got a selection of those Takman resistors to try when I modify my phono stage to switchable loading, which should be interesting.

http://www.hificollective.co.uk/comp...resistors.html

Cheers...
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

Looking around at that site you'll see that almost all resistors do have "caps" and are "spiralled" so forming an inductor. The only type made out of solid carbon is the Allen Bradley one.
    As said this brand is not in production any more. Happily some Chinese manufacturers now offer the same type of resistor.

John
    Music is an emotional experience. Without it, living would be a dull habit...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123