+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Quick check RE: Murata regulator replacement for Caiman?

I'm Gary.

Default Quick check RE: Murata regulator replacement for Caiman?

Just a sanity check before I get the replacements I need.

Finding a "whistling" noise in the background, due to oscilation or summit with the Gator board / Murata regs...some research shows its probably the Murata switching noise being put into the audible range by the more open window of the Gator board - at least in my system.

So..
    looking to replace the Murata's...
    Sold on the Paul Hynes regs (Leo says they are the best he's used) here:
    http://www.paulhynesdesign.com/page6.html

Have a linear supply with the Caiman so perhaps dont need to change both the 5v and 12v..?

Just a quick check as to what Paul Hynes Reg I'd need to replace the ones in the Caiman

...and do I need to replace them both?
    I have a memory banging about in my bonce that I only need to replace one of them..if so what one?

Thanks!
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

Why not just build two linear supplies - one that can deliver 5v for the DAC chip and a 12 v one that feeds to the 12v reg position?

Are the Paul Haynes still switching type regs?

Regards

Chris

leo is offline Circuit Junkie & DIY Room Forum Leader

Quote Originally Posted by chrism View Post
    Why not just build two linear supplies - one that can deliver 5v for the DAC chip and a 12 v one that feeds to the 12v reg position?

Regards

Chris

Go and wash your mouth out with soap (just joking)
    Paul designs both series and shunt regs, after trying many different types of regulation his are by far the best I've tried. I've not tried them in the Caiman yet but I'd imagine they work great in there if the results are anything like when used in my BII dac.

Hi Gaz,
    You could PM Paul , he may have had customers who's already tried the regs in a Caiman or 7520 already if you can afford it I'd personally replace both regs but if not , I'd go with the one causing you the problem which seems to be the 12v one?
    Cheers,
    Leo

I have been playing around with a couple of regulator designs and Gator mods of late, and with good results IMO. A AoS member brought his HD800 headphones and GS headamp to try out and compare. I'll see when I have time to write out instructions on how to duplicate my results.

I'm Gary.

Good stuff Stan, look forward to hearing your results...
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Gary.

Regards

Chris
    Sounds good but WAAY to hardcore DIY for me...I think?
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

Default Paul Hynes. & Caiman Mods Regulators etc.

I have lived with a fully modified Paul Hynes SR3 PSU and some of Pauls digital shunt regulators for my Caiman for some six months counting the investment and wait time and money well extremley well spent.
    Revelations in pace rhythmn and timing and space and depth were the most obvious Dr Jimmy Dripps had a brief listen whildt citing my gator board and
    some Elna caps and although a brief exposure could hear a marked difference.

I have continued To be impressed as have some of my friends who are real musicians who understand musicality tone etc.

Gazjam I am more than happy to demonstrate same here in Glasgow or over at Motherwell with the aid of a dram........

Psion 770
    Martyn.

I'm Gary.

deciding to go with the Dexa's over the Paul Hynes.
    Thanks anyway for the offer Martyn.

With Paul's there is a large VDrop and he recommends an 18v psu.
    Sure they are fanatastic, but the psu I have goes to a smidge under 16V...cest la vie.

hoping to say goodby to my whistling Dac soon.

Actually, I heard my Dac in a another system recently and compared to a Musical Fidelity M1.
    As well as the whistle from my Caiman the volume was considerable lower....I'm sure this is another side effect of the shonky regulator, so my Dac should sound quite "different" when I get it sorted.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I am still contemplating that the whistling noise may be due to the 12v Murata not getting sufficient headroom or voltage drop across it. If your PSU is set at say 15v the actual voltage in front of the Murata may only be close to 14v leaving a quite small 2v differential.

Most regulators appear to like a little more.

Regards

I'm Tomas.

I am still contemplating that the whistling noise may be due to the 12v Murata not getting sufficient headroom or voltage drop across it. If your PSU is set at say 15v the actual voltage in front of the Murata may only be close to 14v leaving a quite small 2v differential.

Most regulators appear to like a little more.

Regards
    Hi Chris, my laboratory linear PSU goes to 15.36V and even on this voltage the whistling is there. If I remember correctly the data sheet of 12V Murata this headroom should be OK. Anyways if I would like to go to higher voltage then the 10k 16V big cap would need to be replaced by something what can survive that voltage and then replace PSU which can go higher than those 15.36V.. Seems that I'll wait on report that Dexa newClassD solve the whistling even with using 15V PSU and then go for Dexas
    BTW I'm not sure if only 12V Murata has to be replaced, if I remember correctly, even touching the 5V Murata changed the whistle frequency so possibly both has to be replaced - I would be interested if my assumption is correct
    > keep it simple <

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast