+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Pioneer PD-S505 Review

I'm Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Again!
    I'll Let you know my thoughts though maybe a little clouded by the beer .....

[B]Class A , A,B Amplification[/B\]
    Marantz PM4
    Turntable
    Thorens TD 125 MK1 , SME 3009 S2 Non Improved , Shure V15 II , SME 2000 Plinth
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Marantz 6005 , Beresford Caiman , Paul Hynes SR4
    Loudspeakers
    Tannoy 615 MK2
    Speaker Cable , Digital Coax , Interconnects
    QED Speaker Cable , Chord Coax Digital , Nakamichi Interconnect , Belkin Interconnect

I'm Dan.

Ohh goose bumps......this is gonna get interesting.....
    Marantz PM4
    Turntable
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Loudspeakers
    Tannoy 615 MK2
    QED Speaker Cable , Chord Coax Digital , Nakamichi Interconnect , Belkin Interconnect

I'm Geoff.

Still
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Dan.

Well after i have come to the conclusion that this is the best by far of any CD player ive heard. The clarity and bass response is truly stunning to your usual loose and flabby bass but this is the next level in the scale i was advised to buy a DAC but unsure of which one to by theirs loads on the market but which is the better option again on a budget? The system i am using is a Yamaha RXV 1500 , Monitor Audio BR1's and this is not even the main system and im amazed i guess i need to dig out the Tannoy 615 MK2's this should be interesting. Their is such a thing of overrated and i thought this but each review comes into their own although not many on the net this will be a long term CDP , Transport IE preference. their is a difference between the normal stable platters if your looking into detail for instance these PDS 505s are built in the UK which of course is true i have no idea if Tom Evans is British ETC.?

I raving a bit but to love this journey you need to have a love for certain items no matter of cost or how rated its the individual that counts
    Marantz PM4
    Turntable
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Loudspeakers
    Tannoy 615 MK2

I'm Geoff.

I've used the PD-S505 Precision with a variety of DACs.

If you want to try one, I'd suggest something from Meridian, Theta or Monarchy Audio. Avoid the various Cambridge DacMagics. I didn't like any of them. The Audio Alchemys are a touch better, but nowhere near any Theta I've tried. Meridians always sound nice and The Monarchy Audio M22, M22B and M22C are seriously special.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I've used the PD-S505 Precision with a variety of DACs.

If you want to try one, I'd suggest something from Meridian, Theta or Monarchy Audio. Avoid the various Cambridge DacMagics. I didn't like any of them. The Audio Alchemys are a touch better, but nowhere near any Theta I've tried. Meridians always sound nice and The Monarchy Audio M22, M22B and M22C are seriously special.
    I agree with Geoff, use a vintage multibit DAC if you want to go down that route, and keep using the Pioneer as a transport. Getting a clock professionally fitted would help even more (as a transport), but I don't generally agree with 'hot rodding' good players as it can end up making the sound different, not 'better'. For now though Dan, just enjoy! If it hasn't been used in a while, it should sound even better over the next few days as the caps form. I have a Theta DS Pro Progeny that I should dig out, welcome to try once I've repaired an RCA socket on it.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    I have a Theta DS Pro Progeny that I should dig out, welcome to try once I've repaired an RCA socket on it.
    The DS Pro Progeny works beautifully with the PD-S505 Precision. It's a combination I used for a while.

I'm Dan.

Thanks Geoff & Neil...Very good suggestions i;ll have to get saving but i will probably look out for a Beresford if i'm honest i only read good things about them but willing to try anything that comes my way i have a search around....
    Marantz PM4
    Turntable
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Loudspeakers
    Tannoy 615 MK2

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by dantheman91 View Post
    Thanks Geoff & Neil...Very good suggestions i;ll have to get saving but i will probably look out for a Beresford if i'm honest i only read good things about them but willing to try anything that comes my way i have a search around....
    The Theta is outstanding. You'd be unlikely to find much in the way of new DACs coming near the sound quality for under a grand!

I'm Neil.

Agreed, and I've used several Beresford DACs. Edit: I didn't mean to come across as negative to the B DACs they are better than the usual What HiFi recommendations, just that there's a lot to play with second hand.
    Last edited by Yomanze; 18-04-2016 at 17:09.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast