+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 310 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast

Thread: Justin & Jerry's Hifi Blog

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    ...if they haven't dropped it from a great height, put a calling card in your letterbox even thought you were in, fail to answer the phone despite trying 25 times, put it back out for delivery after you have arranged to collect it, etc.

They ain't called Parcel Farce for nothing!

... to be fair, I've always had pretty good service from them.
    Last edited by jandl100; 26-01-2012 at 06:52.

I'm gone.

Well ... Parcel Force delivered yesterday. A1 service, really, although most couriers will manage next day with no problem - if you buy 48 with PF that's what you get. I'm sure they deliberately delay them to make this so.

Ooooo - pwiddy lights ....

It works fine.

At first twiddle it's much less simple to set than the 7 band Akai. But I guess added complexity is inevitable with additional frequency bands and slider controls rather than coarser rez level setting by button push.

I'll use it for a few days and see if I settle down with it. But I wouldn't be that surprised if I went back to the Akai.

I played several older LPs yesterday - Turnabout, VOX, Supraphon. You'd need a crowbar to part me from an equaliser/tt setup now.

I'm gone.

The insanity continues apace ... and escalates!

After playing a few LPs with the Yammie equaliser I was getting seriously dis-chuffed with having to tweak so many bloody controls for each LP ... but I didn't want to do without some of the fine control on the Yammie ... so I've now hooked up the Akai and the Yammie equalisers in series.

OK OK - so it's totally

But I'm having a ball of fun.

... I think what I really want is a kool looking equaliser like the Akai, with lots of graphic level bars dancing along with the music, but with 10 bands instead of 7. That should give me the control I want. As luck would have it, I may have spotted one ....

I'm Deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    OK OK - so it's totally
    Yes, it is
    Account Deleted

I'm gone.

Yes Yes ... but you really do need to hear what can be done with an equaliser and a crappily recorded LP with good music residing thereon.
    I've got quite a few of those in my collection - most "serious" classical (or jazz, blues etc) collectors will have, I reckon.

It really is a revelation.

(Don't be like your chum who heaps sneering scorn on things he has never heard )
    Last edited by jandl100; 27-01-2012 at 09:30.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Well done Jerry. I think too many of us were brainwashed with the whole Linn-Naim ethos back in the day, BUT, the equaliser should be chosen with much care to minimise insertion losses, hence my suggestion for a Klark Teknik unit as used "everywhere" back in the days of analogue studios...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Well done Jerry. I think too many of us were brainwashed with the whole Linn-Naim ethos back in the day, BUT, the equaliser should be chosen with much care to minimise insertion losses, hence my suggestion for a Klark Teknik unit as used "everywhere" back in the days of analogue studios...
    Yup, thanks Dave.

I'm really just playing around at the moment finding out what sort of facilities I want.

Too much fiddling with each LP is irritating and counter-productive when it comes to an enjoyable listening experience, but too little and I can't get sufficient control.

Must admit I am surprised at how small the insertion losses seem.
    Even with 2 1980's Jap equalisers in series, many LPs are far more enjoyable than without them, and I am sure that applies to quite a significant % of the LPs in my collection ....

.... for me, the music comes first (in classical music terms, the musical interpretation) and my hifi's sole purpose is to make my choice of music sound as best as I can make it. If that means twiddling with a poorly engineered recording, then by thunder, that's what I'll do!

I've just been looking at Klark Tekniks gear on the 'Bay ... like this one for example. We are talking £hundreds, and the beasts are covered in controls. I really don't think I want or need to go there.

I'm gone.

I got tempted by a swap deal and the excellent MF A5 cdp is no longer with me.

But this is now in its place ...

... and I have to say that it is even better than the MF .

A minty Resolution Audio CD50 with a fairly new mech - the predecessor to the current Opus 21 cdp.

Only had a few hours on it so far, but first impressions are very positive indeed.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Congrats, Jerry. That's one of the best high-end CDPs ever made - superb machine. Enjoy!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm gone.

Drat.
    I suspect you are correct, Marco. This is by far the best CDP I have heard.
    Another keeper, I suspect.
    ... what with my MBL speakers, my Krell pre, my Parasound power amp and now the RA CD50 my boxswapping options seem to be closing down. I guess there is room for improvement on the pre-amp front, but at what cost? - the Krell is darn good and synergises wonderfully with the power amp and speakers.

+ Reply to Thread