+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 310 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Justin & Jerry's Hifi Blog

I'm BigBobJoylove.

I found that there's a vast potential difference in presentation when the vertical angle is adjusted, maybe moreso with the hybrid MLs, but the same should essentially work with the single panels. The more upright the brighter the sound. Or I should say the more directly fired at the listening position, the brighter the sound.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm Paul.

I have found the same also, also my friend who has the Acent's says the same thing.

Panels tend to beam more so that other drivers which means they tend to have much more treble energy on axis. ML tend to tilt there panels back a bit but I set the adjustable feet spikes so that they are more vertical. This is one of theweaker points of ML's they tend to have a sweet spot the curved panels help a bit but not much. Not sure if the CLS have curved pannels though. The best way to hear them is from far away but most UK living rooms are not as big as the average in the US.
    ~Paul~

I'm BigBobJoylove.

The CLS definitely have curved panels, CLS is an acronym form Curvilinear Line Source. What you've said about the living room size is bang on, but there's another giveaway factor on ML speakers that show they're designed for the US market; as houses in the UK tend to have solid internal walls the bass from MLs is almost always lean, houses in the US tend to have drywall internally which resonates at the lower frequencies causing bloom. A lot of US designed loudspeakers have an adjustment of some type on the crossover to counteract this effect, from my experience with american speakers (i.e. my last two pairs), if this is undertaken correctly it aids an even frequency response without compromising bass response in either situation.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Lovely panels Jerry.I wouldn't want to live without mine now.No more box speakers for me!

I'm Paul.

I know what you mean about US houses. I know it probably varies from state to state but I saw some vert nice, large houses in Houston. However seeing one being made is an eye opener. It was completely softwood framed with the exterior walls made from some kind of cladding. I just hope they have substancial amounts of fire retardant.

The Summits have adjustable bass, obviously for this reason you indicated. Some of the older ML's have 2 bass drivers. One of them acts out of phase for the very low frequencies to stop overblown room gain, interesting idea.
    ~Paul~

I'm gone.

Thanks for the advice folks.

I've just ordered 6x15 inch square egg-box type absorbent tiles. The initial plan is to fit them in the rear of the speaker as a vertical array of 15x45 inches each speaker.

See how that goes - then play around a bit!

It's kind of strange - the perceived balance is a bit on the bright side, but measuring the in-room sound with my Behringer DEQ2496, it actually slopes down from bass to treble ... ? Hmm.

I'm Paul.

Hi Jerry, I hope it goes well with the tiles.

As you have a dipole that beams a lot more than cones speakers you need to take nearfield and farfield on axis and average the result. If you mic is not on axis with the panels you will get a drop in treble. This is very obvious if you change the volume while off axis from the speakers and then go and sit infront of them they will be a hell of a lot louder and the treble alot stronger.

This is one of the bad points about panels, they're very directional. However they do so many other things well.........
    ~Paul~

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post

Excellent, Jerry. A true 'den of iniquity'

Keep up the good work!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalsea View Post
    This is one of the bad points about panels, they're very directional. However they do so many other things well.........
    Heh!! Damn right there.

More progress with the CLS - the key to tonal happiness is toe-in. ... oh and just the right setting on the subwoofer.

Have just been listening to one of my fave Brahms choral CD with the CLSs quite severely toed in - the panels pointing a bit in front of me - luxuriating in the tonal warmth ... I would never have thought I'd be saying that about CLSs until now! Lovely jubbly.

I'm Paul.

Jerry,

FYI here's what I done with my foam tiles
    ~Paul~

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 310 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast