+ Reply to Thread
Page 259 of 310 FirstFirst ... 159209249257258259260261269309 ... LastLast
Results 2,581 to 2,590 of 3091

Thread: Justin & Jerry's Hifi Blog

I'm gone.

... and a more extended view - with, far left, my new DAC peeping into the pic.

A SMSL M8 DAC with a Chinese linear PSU (with the large red LED voltage display).
    The DAC is only just larger than a pack of playing cards but it has a serious tech-spec and it sounds seriously good. The PSU was a very effective upgrade (only about £50 direct from PRC).
    The Review of the M8 DAC that tempted me into trying it when one came along used on eBay.
    It's a shame that the DAC is silver and the PSU is black but hey-ho.
    I connect the DAC to my music streaming laptop via a Halide Bridge USB to digital co-ax converter.

Bottom left is my ancient Arcam DV29 DVDP, for DVDs and also used as a rather good CD transport.

I'm Brian.

How does it compare to the XS DAC Jerry ?
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    ... and a more extended view - with, far left, my new DAC peeping into the pic.

A SMSL M8 DAC with a Chinese linear PSU (with the large red LED voltage display).
    The DAC is only just larger than a pack of playing cards but it has a serious tech-spec and it sounds seriously good. The PSU was a very effective upgrade (only about £50 direct from PRC).
    The Review of the M8 DAC that tempted me into trying it when one came along used on eBay.
    It's a shame that the DAC is silver and the PSU is black but hey-ho.
    I connect the DAC to my music streaming laptop via a Halide Bridge USB to digital co-ax converter.

Bottom left is my ancient Arcam DV29 DVDP, for DVDs and also used as a rather good CD transport.
    ive got the m6 jerry. its rather good dac/headphone amp, but can be used as a dac too as it has rca's out. improved a bit on battery too.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    No DAC fight here I've been around this game long enough to know what I like and the XS suits me just fine . Maybe my old ears are playing tricks on me , who cares , I like what I'm hearing from both outputs .

I use this DAC with a big old Sony integrated so no preamp section or volume control needed .

I have tried several good mains cables with this DAC and they all provided me with an improvement . Is everyone here using the supplied mains cable . Mines went in the bin
    Hi Brian,

I've put a "fancy" mains cable on the XS DAC and I too found a significant improvement to its performance. So much so that I bought the XS DAC. It's actually a very good unit now.

I'm sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    New preamp - Herron VTSP-2.
    Better then the puresound Jerry?

I'm gone.

I much prefer it.
    The Herron is a medium to long term keeper for me, the Puresound never really held my interest. It's obviously a very good pre, it just didn't sit right in my system.

I'm gone.

Double post

I'm gone.

"New" today.
    A nice bit of vintage.

I have blocked ears at the moment due to an ear infection, but initial impressions are hopeful and positive!
    Can't wait for my ears to clear up.

I'm Geoff.

Blimey, that's a blast from the past Jerry. I've had a few pairs, bought the first brand new around 1973. They sound quite nice, a little less immediate than electrostatics and they are not the most sensitive phones around. They must be rare now.

The sound from my vintage Yamaha HP-1 Orthodynamic headphones is pretty similar.

I'm Grant.

remember yamaha making those but not wharfedale
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread