Page 240 of 310 FirstFirst ... 140190230238239240241242250290 ... LastLast
Results 2,391 to 2,400 of 3091

Thread: Justin & Jerry's Hifi Blog

I'm gone.

Justin, yer inbox is full.

I'm gone.

Ancient bitstream DAC.
    They don't make 'em like this anymore.

With the recommended John Wright upgrades; power supply mods, black gate capacitors and IEC socket.

I'm Justin.

Initial impressions?

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Initial impressions?
    There is more to great sounding digital than the latest gee-whiz technotrick gadgetry.
    It sounds great. Another step or 3 up the never-ending upgrade staircase. Really pleased.

I'm gone.

The system needed a little fiddlin' with to get it to play music streaming through my new Meitner DAC. Sorted this morning now that postie is operating again.

Really enjoying my new DAC with streaming - orchestral is the best I have heard by a mile. So much texture and density and definition all the way across the stereo stage, just amazing. I didn't realise this stuff was even on the recordings. I think the modern companies have lost their way with all their high tech digital wizardry - this old fashioned bitstream DAC knocks 'em for 6, imho.

I'm Martin.

I see the mods involve 'enhancing the power supplies at every opportunity'. I reckon that's your answer as to why it sounds a cut above.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    The system needed a little fiddlin' with to get it to play music streaming through my new Meitner DAC. Sorted this morning now that postie is operating again.

Really enjoying my new DAC with streaming - orchestral is the best I have heard by a mile. So much texture and density and definition all the way across the stereo stage, just amazing. I didn't realise this stuff was even on the recordings. I think the modern companies have lost their way with all their high tech digital wizardry - this old fashioned bitstream DAC knocks 'em for 6, imho.
    Nah I reckon not. I reckon there's plenty of contemporary expensive efforts out there that will knock it for six.

Gotta lay down some real $$$ though.

Just being realistic.

Meitner stuff I have heard has been really good, though. Did he really design the entire thing?

I'm gone.

Well, there's a virtually unending supply of DACs out there these days.
    Over the last little while I've tried at least 4 modern DACs in the £1-3k range (Chord Hugo2, Auralic Vega, Cambridge 851D and a bit longer a go a NAD M51) and none have impressed in the way that the old-tech Meitner has.

Interestingly the seller of the Meitner messaged me this -- "you could get it upgraded further to the very latest mods done by John wright 2016 version, but will cost you over 900 US dollars plus import tax. I would say its worth it and thats what I have at present."

Hmm, and probably 2-3 months away.
    I don't think I'll be doing that.
    It is kind of tempting, though.

I'm gone.

--- I have to say, though, that I've enjoyed some cheaper DACs more than their multi-£k brethren - the XiangSheng DAC-01A, SPS DAC3 and recently the DAC in an Audiolab 8200CD.

I guess I'm just cheap to please.
    -- apart from speakers.

Like with amps (mentioned elsewhere), with DACs I don't at all hear the expected relationship between cost and sound quality. It's more of a scatter diagram than a 1 to 1 relationship.
    Hmm, you can include cables in that viewpoint as well.
    Last edited by jandl100; 05-03-2018 at 20:12.

lordmortlock Guest

Have you got a Meitner as well J? Or are you meaning the museatex?

+ Reply to Thread