+ Reply to Thread
Page 219 of 310 FirstFirst ... 119169209217218219220221229269 ... LastLast
Results 2,181 to 2,190 of 3091

Thread: Justin & Jerry's Hifi Blog

I'm Guy.

Having looked at the pictures Jerry, this one does have the additional resistance in series with the motor driving the pot so the response to the RC is friendlier than earlier versions which had the pot moving more quickly. It should be fairly easy to set the level you want with this unit.

As someone pointed out 6n6 are not direct substitutes for anything I know of because of pin 9 being a screen. But no matter, the 6n6 is still easy to get & they do sound pretty good.

Two power transformers (1 LT & 1 HT) valve rectifier, L-C-L-C power supply & output transformers. Regulated supply for the 6n6 filament. Nice low gain which is handy given the sensitivity of some power amps and the 2V RMS output of most digital sources.

I'm gone.

Thanks Guy

As you may have seen above, some folks have looked into the types of 6n6p available, for other amps. I shall try a few in the L10 and see what happens!
    I'm pretty sure that the valve inside is Russian not Chinese. I won't pop the lid again until the gold grid 6n6p arrives.
    Maybe Justin could send me one of his spare red nip 6n6p to try?

It's a shame that in my early enthusiasm I ordered a ecc99!

The serial number of my L10 is 016 120 so I guess it is the 120th made last year?
    The seller said it was 9 months from new, so that probably confirms it.
    And a manual came with it.

I am absolutely fine with the remote volume, it's spot on in its action as far as I am concerned.

I'm Guy.

120th amplifier sold (not just L10's!) I wish it were

I'm Phil.

one of my favourite pre amps , the L10 . it just has that musical ability that makes you want to dance . great you have one in situ jerry
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    one of my favourite pre amps , the L10 . it just has that musical ability that makes you want to dance . great you have one in situ jerry
    Yes, I know what you mean!

Did you ever play around with the valves, Phil?

I'm Justin.

Hey hands of my nipples! I only have 4 that came with the amps originally. Since they still sound the best they are going nowhere.

They probably are just standard OTK mil spec jobbies but marked for some selection reason. They look identical to the non red nips I have. Maybe they were rejects for all I know. Doubt it but you never know. Maybe it is all in my head but I really do think they sound better. Maybe it is just year of manufacture. Who knows.

I'm gone.

Oh, sorry.
    I thought you said you had loads of spares

Gold grids haven't arrived yet.

I'm Justin.

Yup I do but they aren't red nips. Nor are they gold grids. Can send you a couple if you want but they may be what you have at the mo i.e. OTK.

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Yup I do but they aren't red nips. Nor are they gold grids. Can send you a couple if you want but they may be what you have at the mo i.e. OTK.
    No, that's fine.
    If I can't get hold of your red nipples I'm not interested.

I'm gone.

Current electronics ....
    (actually just trying out Imgur photo hosting )

Yay - that works.

So da big boy Pass X150 power amp fed by either Pure Sound L10 or Bel Canto PRe3 preamps.
    Both preamps are good - I bought the L10 and put the BC up for sale, but actually I think I will keep both and swap 'em every now and then.
    Both are great preamps in somewhat different ways.

DAC is the DAC3 by Starting Point Systems in France. Been here a while now and very happy with it. I use a Halide Bridge USB/SPDIF converter with it, even though it has a good USB input. The Halide just gives it that extra something.

And top left my vintage Philips Black Tulip 270 pre and 380 power. I use the 270 as a headphone amp, and excellent it is.

+ Reply to Thread