+ Reply to Thread
Page 205 of 310 FirstFirst ... 105155195203204205206207215255305 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,050 of 3091

Thread: Justin & Jerry's Hifi Blog

I'm Grant.

Never tried a ss buffer as such. Had a few valve ones. One ive got now is by far the best especially modded. Not always needed i will accept but in general if its not needed it doesnt do much if anything.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    OK folks well Jerry (Jandl100) has commissioned a solid state buffer which will be completed very soon... I'm "going the whole hog" and doing all discrete class A. If anyone else wants one it will be easier and more convenient for me to do a few in one batch... and cheaper for you!
    Thanks Jez.

I was well impressed with the Arcaydis solid state buffer before it started going hiss, chuff, warble, thump.

If yours is as good sounding, but without the hiss, chuff, warble, thump (I can't imagine it won't be) I shall spread the word.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Thanks Jez.

I was well impressed with the Arcaydis solid state buffer before it started going hiss, chuff, warble, thump.

If yours is as good sounding, but without the hiss, chuff, warble, thump (I can't imagine it won't be) I shall spread the word.
    Cheers
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Jez.

OK well I've designed it and pro forma specs are as follows:

Frequency response: 0.15 Hz - 5000 KHz (no that's not a typing error)

Input impedance: 1 Megohm

Output impedance: 23 Ohm

THD: <0.005%

Maximum output level: 9V RMS

If anyone else wants one for the same £75 I'm doing the first one for Jerry at then orders to be in by noon tomorrow when I'll be ordering parts. I should have quoted a bit more but will honour this one and any orders placed by noon tomorrow at that price.

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Being a bit of a numpty here - but what is the advantage of using a buffer stage? If the source output impedance is low, and the input impedance of the item next in line is high, what is the problem?
    Barry

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    A complete and utter waste of time, money and effort in my opinion... But if anyone wishes to commission one then I'll build it. No problem Just PM me with the precise spec you want.
    That is the attitude. Give them want they think they want. Whether you think it is deluded or not.

We go to work to make money, not to make a point. Sure give advice, point out the absurdity, but people will still want such a thing. Distortion boxes are fun.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Being a bit of a numpty here - but what is the advantage of using a buffer stage? If the source output impedance is low, and the input impedance of the item next in line is high, what is the problem?
    I've no idea... But the customer is always right.... and so the customer will get a very good buffer stage which will do exactly what the specs describe. It will buffer from high impedance, giving zero voltage gain, a wide frequency response, very low distortion and offer a a very low output impedance, as seen by the next stage, of 23R. It will do so using discrete single ended circuitry. Adding one of these straight after a passive pre basically makes it an active pre of the purest possible topology.... and I'll try it in that context in my own system out of interest

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    That is the attitude. Give them want they think they want. Whether you think it is deluded or not.

We go to work to make money, not to make a point. Sure give advice, point out the absurdity, but people will still want such a thing. Distortion boxes are fun.
    I'm learning

I'm Jez.

Here's an extra I'll put in, having just thought of it... I'll make the output impedance 75 Ohms. Still well low, but matches the characteristic impedance of most coax interconnects used at audio frequencies...... (Puts tin foil hat down...) I don't expect it to make any difference and theory says it won't, but I've read a few "audiophile things" claiming it makes a difference... and as all it takes is to replace two resistors with two different resistors, it costs nowt... There's no down side to it and it's one less thing to worry about if you believe interconnects matter as yes, you are driving the cable at its correct characteristic impedance.

Technical types move away from the keyboard! Yes I know that the interconnect would need to be several miles long for it to matter... As I say, and you surely must agree, there's no down side to it... hey I'm reaching out to the subjectivists in unknown territory here!

I'm gone.

.... don't forget to add a sprinkle of audiophile magic flooby-dust, Jez.

You know, I'm getting quite excited by this, if expectation bias has anything to do with it I am going to be very happy with Jez's new buffer.

Feel free to post some pics of the construction.

+ Reply to Thread