+ Reply to Thread
Page 188 of 310 FirstFirst ... 88138178186187188189190198238288 ... LastLast
Results 1,871 to 1,880 of 3091

Thread: Justin & Jerry's Hifi Blog

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Some tracks may well benefit from a bit of lossy work.
    I don't understand how. Either a lossy codec is inaudible or it is a degredation, logic dictates that it can't be an improvement.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

Think about it lol. If its bad then less bad is good, no?
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Isn't this more likely to be due to the kit? I can't see that Spotify do any re-mastering, so what else is the explanation?
    I don't think so.
    Numerous issues over the years, LPs and CDs - all bright and bass light. Spotify sounds great.
    No, I don't understand it either.

I'm Martin.

I see what you are driving at but since it shouldn't work that way on paper I think I'd need to hear a comparison with a rip of the CD and the Spotify version, through the same hardware, to be convinced.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm rupert.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Interesting what you say about older recordings on Spotify.

In classical music on Spotify, I have often been amazed at the sound of older recordings that I have found pretty much unlistenable in other formats.
    Some 60s and 70s classic recordings, on CBS and RCA for example, sound thin and bass shy on CD and LP but have come up full and well balanced and very listenable indeed on Spotify. It's been a bit of a revelation, actually.
    sorry off topic but in reply to jandl

A friend of mine comes by sometimes and he likes to listen to loud 80 and 90 rock and have a couple of beers at the same time. I find that kind of music quite "busy" and "dense"... maybe its just that I prefer more dynamic music with clear cut backgrounds and immersive soundstages so it's maybe not a bad recording but just the content I don't like too much. My hearing adapts after a couple of beers though.

I consider all recordings by Angus and Julia Stone to be very good (Angus does his own studio stuff I think). Also more recent electronic music is currently on my fav list.

As a side note, one recording I always thought was not that good on CD (SQ wise) was the one below (Chopin Masurkas by Arthuro Benedetti Michelangeli). Curiously, on spotify it sounds quite good and maybe more dynamic than I remember it on CD. It is definately the same recording as it has all the background, breathing, shuffling noises I remember were on the CD which I last heard at over 10 or more years ago. But maybe its just that my stereo has gotten better although, not that much after all. I had some very nice Jean Maurer speakers at the time which I never should have sold !!

These all sound good to me (random selection) and don't forget to set Spotify to high res output ;-)

This one (for Macca) sound is a little tinny IMHO as I remember it sounded on CD.

from the same Album but with more bass which is better than I can remember on CD
    Last edited by r100; 17-12-2016 at 19:00.

I'm Justin.

Are you sure you don't want Spotify set to the lowest quality?

You might like that better.

I'm rupert.

not sure I understand but from your previous posts, it is not clear if you even have any experience with Spotify Premium (you know, not the low bandwidth free version )

I'm gone.

Don't worry - Justin is just havin' a gentle sarcastic poke.
    - at me as well as you.

He's kinda cute when you meet him, though.

I'm rupert.

I'm Justin.

Keyboard warrior, me. Today, at least

+ Reply to Thread