Thread: Justin & Jerry's Hifi Blog

I'm Vesa.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Aha! - yes, well spotted ....

You got to have one

Vesa
    Music is not made for listening HiFi...

I'm gone.

As some of you may recall, I've been using Spotify Premium (320kbs) as my main source for a year or more now.
    Every now and then I get a little niggle and wonder if "near CD quality" really is suitable, and start pondering afresh about the lossless sources such as Tidal.

In fact a month or so back I tried Qobuz, but was immediately disenchanted by the paucity of its classical music catalogue. It was back to Spotify with relief.

But yesterday I invested 20 squid in a month's Tidal membership, once again - I've had quite a few months of Tidal membership before, in fact I started my streaming adventure with Tidal. But then an audio chum convinced me into having a go with Spotify Premium, and I've been happy with that ever since and let the Tidal sub lapse.
    My system has come a fair way in the last year so I just thought I'd try lossless again.

Hmm. I do hear a difference against Spot Premium, although direct A/B comparisons show it to be fairly subtle on most material I have tried so far. Sorry, it's been all classical!

Yes, it is just audibly higher rez.
    But it also puts a bit of an 'edge' on the sound that becomes a bit insistent and relentless after a while.
    It actually gave me a headache after a few hours.

It was great fun on Fazil Say's exuberantly eastern and superbly recorded Mesopotamia symphony, where the extra razzle dazzle came across well. Definitely just that bit more impressive and enjoyable. But for string quartets and piano and ordinary symphonic sounds I went back to Spotify with more than a bit of relief!

I'd also forgotten what a struggle the Tidal search facilities can be to use on classical music. Spotify's is much superior.
    And whilst Tidal does have some classical material that Spotify lacks, Spotify easily wins overall for the breadth of its catalogue.

Anyway, back to the sq ---- Maybe my system has been fine tuned to suit the subtlely softer sound of Spotify 320kbs as it has been my main source for over a year?

I've got the month of Tidal subscription to play around, it'll be interesting to see if I decide to keep both Tidal and Spotify. I may well try playing around with cables and such like goofery to see if I can tune in a better presentation from Tidal.

I'm Justin.

Interesting. I would 100% use Spotify IF I could listen to it!!! I can't, and found myself still buying CDs when using it.

I really did find Spotify SQ annoyingly compromised.

Can't think of a reason for your TIDAL SQ dilemma.

I'm Justin.

Ask the obvious but is the HiFi text at the bottom right of the S/W always "lit" i.e. not dimmed?

I'm Grant.

Only been using Spotify for a week or so, but certainly on headphones i find it pretty good on the hishest extreme level direct from a chromecast. If i connect the caster to the system then i would say its not quite cd quality, but i could probably live with it. Its much better on cans though to me
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm gone.

Yep, the Tidal HIFI icon is lit.

I honestly think that a lot of the tales of Spotify not being good enough is due to expectation bias.
    I was round at Jake lordmortlock's place recently and he said he just couldn't understand how I could use Spotify.
    We settled down with a cuppa and were streaming music and the item we next wanted wasn't on Tidal so we swapped over to Spotify.
    We were soon thoroughly engrossed in the music, one of our mutual favourite tracks, and had quite forgotten the source.
    .... both groovin' along saying how great it sounded (and it did) .... I then asked "so what, exactly, is wrong with Spotify?"
    He looked blank, then shocked, then gave a big grin and a laugh.

Spotify really is just fine, imho.

I'm Martin.

It is at least as good as cassette tape...
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    It is at least as good as cassette tape...
    That's true.

So is the highest end source you can imagine.

I'm Justin.

I think you need to be careful.

Some recordings can actually sound better compressed. Not the majority, but I know of some stuff I find sounds better compressed. Throwing away HF can do the trick and make some recordings sound better, which compression will do.

But after spending years using both, I completely think you are wrong. TIDAL is better and quite noticeably so over a wide range of material.

Could be that DAC, Jerry. Maybe it is a bit brightly lit, and giving it a full range signal screws the balance the wrong way. That said, if you are honestly telling me you can't tell that Spotify sounds worse than playing a CD over a wide range of recordings (on average) then I am flummoxed unless somehow my suggestion of the DAC being to blame is the truth of the matter.

I'm gone.

That's fine, Justin. I'm happy to report on different experiences to you, mostly listening to quite different music.

If I have the choice to use A or B, and I prefer B ---- guess which one I will use.
    I am not without experience is listening to hifi gear, and imho my system with Spotify sounds very special and provides me with a huge amount of enjoyment.

I agree that it is possible that my DAC (and the rest of my system) is a good synergistic match with Spotify but not Tidal. That's fine - it's the sound of the music that comes out that matters. No components are perfect, and the synergy of the system is all important.

+ Reply to Thread