+ Reply to Thread
Page 180 of 310 FirstFirst ... 80130170178179180181182190230280 ... LastLast
Results 1,791 to 1,800 of 3091

Thread: Justin & Jerry's Hifi Blog

I'm Grant.

Quite an attractive pairing. No idea what they are though...very nice anyways
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieoftheday View Post
    Jerry, where did you get the stands? Cheers Jim
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3716570321...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I'm James.

Thanks Jerry, do you find them stable? They have em in black too
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Gosh, you do nag, Brian.

OK - new stands bought. No, not the mega-dosh Q-Acoustics.
    Pretty rigid - there's a steel bar bracing the top and bottom plates on these stands.

Yup, they do sound even better atop these stands.
    Playing Bax symphony #1, London Grammar and Emmy Lou Harris' Wrecking Ball.
    Very classy mate
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieoftheday View Post
    Thanks Jerry, do you find them stable? They have em in black too
    Well, they are 4 footed rather than 3, so are not inherently wobble-free, and there is not really any range of adjustment on the footer threads if they are to held solidly. So it all depends on your floor flatness! ... or you could put a 3-footed platform underneath.

The stands come with circular rubber-pad feet, not spikes. Although I'd imagine that threaded spikes could be fitted.

I have to confess that I don't obsess about that sort of stuff these days - Does it sound good and does it let me into the music? Yes. Right, cue the next track!

And yes, also available in darkly tinted glass - but why would I want to obscure my lovely tartan carpet?
    Last edited by jandl100; 04-10-2016 at 06:38.

I'm gone.

It's no good, I just can't get bi-amping with different amps to work well.

I thought it might be good to run my Carat A57 integrated amp on the midrange/treble of my MBL speakers and the Philips 380 power amp on the bass.

Both are, imo, excellent amps. The Carrot having a little more subtlety and finesse, and Phil majoring on clarity and clout.
    Should have worked well, I would have thought ...

But nope, the sound just didn't jell right. Definitely sounded a bit off, and well short of either amp on its own.
    Weird.

I'm Grant.

The gain on the amps will be different so it wont sound right. maybe using digital xovers would solve the mismatch.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    The gain on the amps will be different so it wont sound right. maybe using digital xovers would solve the mismatch.
    No, it's not that. There is adjustable gain on the Philips power amp, so I matched them up OK.

I'm Geoff.

Have you maintained correct phase?

Could it be an amp output impedance issue (can't see how though)?

Experiment with interconnects and speaker cables.

Have you tried switching the amps round. You never know!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Have you maintained correct phase?
    Ah, good point! .....

Nope, it was OK.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Have you tried switching the amps round. You never know!
    Hmm, worth a try ....

Nope, slightly worse, as I had surmised.

Going back to just one amp is a major improvement!

I've found this before when I tried bi-amping with different amps. With different sound signatures, it just messes up the whole presentation.

+ Reply to Thread