+ Reply to Thread
Page 169 of 310 FirstFirst ... 69119159167168169170171179219269 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,690 of 3091

Thread: Justin & Jerry's Hifi Blog

I'm gone.

Headphone shootout at Jerry Towers.

Well, actually these 3 are the end result of a bit of a recent headphones journey.

Vintage Yamaha HP-500 orthodynamics.
    B&O Form 1
    Beyerdynamic DT-150

The Yammies are more obviously 'vintage' - a little boxy sounding, but good rez and dynamics. Nice to have and use occasionally.

The B&O surprised me. I bought them only because of the lovely (to my eyes) visual design.
    But actually they are surprisingly good sounding - providing you can whack up the bass by a solid 10dB or so and reduce the treble a bit with a handy set of tone controls!

The Beyers are the main set for 'proper' listening before Mrs J gets up in the morning (she's a late sleeper). Pretty damn good, actually. Quite hi-rez, good tonality, a fair bit of oomph in the bass but not overpowering like some modern 'phones. And the earpads don't crowd my ears like some so-called over-ears do. Maybe I've just got big ears.

I tried a couple of other pairs before settling on those ...

Harman Kardon CL. On-ears that sounded very good, but I just couldn't settle with the on-ear feel. I much prefer circumaural over ears.

Audio Technica M50. Bought these ex-dem, with obviously very little play time on them. To start with they were very bass light and a bit peaky in the treble, not at all what I was expecting from the reviews! So I left them pounding away to Massive Attack's Mezzanine for 24 hours. Whoo - what a difference a day makes. After the break in they turned from bass light to rather bass heavy. The treble smoothed out nicely. Voiced for the Dr Dre crowd who want to move on to something a bit more sophisticated, I suspect.

And before any of these I had Flare Audio R2a in-ears. Great sound but I just couldn't adjust to the in-ear experience. Hence the above journey to find a replacement.

And before the Flare Audio there were Grado 325i. Superb headphones but the sound leakage was just too much for the Mrs.

I'm gone.

I honestly thought it was going to be bigger than that.
    - that's what I always tell the ladies.

Another teeny-weeny amp that caught my attention recently.
    Not a class D chip amp, but a power-DAC, I believe.
    40wpc - 4 ohms, 25wpc into 8 ohms.

Mainly digital inputs, it also has an ADC on board and accepts a mini jack plug analog stereo input.
    Here's a stock photo of the rear ...

Remote control of volume in 60 steps (with a lot of gain available), mute and .... tone controls! Bass and treble, and a fixed set of 6 equaliser settings. I like the tone controls! - just a plus or minus 1 nudge (out of 9) for bright or dull recordings, yay.

The sound majors on clarity, resolution, image focus and small/medium scale dynamic nuance. So probably not an ideal piece for many here on AOS - a very different presentation to the Monarchy class A amps that are so popular here, for example, although I suspect that Marco would love it. Very upbeat, somewhat 'brightly lit' allowing its startling clarity to be showcased, and it lets a very healthy dose of musical pizzaz and excitement thru. Within the power limits, bass is deep and very well controlled - more than a bit awesome, actually.

Justin will be pulling his hair out in anguish that I have fallen for yet another weeny digital amp.
    It only arrived yesterday, but initial impressions are that I could easily live with this.

OK - it doesn't have the awesome heft at high levels of my APart Champ One 300wpc power amp, but it does a creditable job of Dream Theater at 10 (rather than 11) and sounds fantastic on pretty much all of the classical and folky music I have so far tried with it.

It costs about £85 delivered, and is called a S.M.S.L. Q5 Pro.
    It is a stunning piece of kit regardless of price.

I'm Dan.

Bloody hell Jerry!

Saved one of them to my watch list last night on Fleabay; will be buying one when I'm back from holiday next week

Looks to be a great all-in-one and ideal for a desktop system. Will be interested to see how it drives my RX2s!

Thanks for the write up; it's a good read
    My Office : M2 Mac Mini Pro > Focusrite Scarlett Solo USB interface > JBL 308P MkII active studio monitors on Atacama SL600 stands via Van Damme TRS to XLR balanced cables
    The spare room : Music via Apple Music > ATV3 > optical into a Fiio D3 DAC > Arcam Alpha 10 integrated > B&W 602 S3s or AE109 speakers - Van Damme cables

I'm gone.

Thanks, Dan - yup, it's a mighty midget!

Interesting comparative article / review here http://www.qobuz.com/ie-en/info/hi-r...plifiers178041

I'm Dan.

Seems like it's a lot of bang for not a lot of £££!

Cheers Jerry
    My Office : M2 Mac Mini Pro > Focusrite Scarlett Solo USB interface > JBL 308P MkII active studio monitors on Atacama SL600 stands via Van Damme TRS to XLR balanced cables
    The spare room : Music via Apple Music > ATV3 > optical into a Fiio D3 DAC > Arcam Alpha 10 integrated > B&W 602 S3s or AE109 speakers - Van Damme cables

I'm Justin.

Ah. More pussy power. Meow.

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Ah. More pussy power. Meow.
    Surprisingly, it's more of a

than a

Playing Mahler 7th symphony at the moment ... BIG orchestral.

Before that Buggles Age of Plastic.

It's going good.

Doesn't quite make the grade on Blues for Klook, where 3 figure wattage would be needed for the full drama to be revealed, but you'd be surprised how well it does, I think.

It'd probably go into meltdown with your Apogees, but it works well with the MBLs.

I'm Justin.

Nah. Even my cat sez it's pussy.

I'm Justin.

I'm Justin.

The sub-standard mobile pic shows he has screwed up what was once quite a nice chair.

Anyway, glad you're enjoying yet another amp. It is an Apart Champ session and some Leffe Brun chez moi in a bit. Still enjoying that.

+ Reply to Thread