+ Reply to Thread
Page 157 of 310 FirstFirst ... 57107147155156157158159167207257 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,570 of 3091

Thread: Justin & Jerry's Hifi Blog

I'm gone.

Yep, that's the wee beastie, Brian.
    It sounds wonderful so far.

I'm Brian.

Oh good . This may be a serious contender for a little forray into the world of glowing bottles once again

Please keep us posted Jerry
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Alan.

If it hasn't enough power Jerry you could also add a few more 6L6's:

...or maybe not

I'm gone.

Mine has more than enough power, Alan. Big orchestra going hell for leather at the moment - glorious!
    That does look tasty though!

I'm gone.

Actually, Alan, the power valves the amp came with are RCA 6BG6 with a base adaptor, not 6L6, as the previous owner preferred them.

I had a pair of JJ 6L6 waiting, but I agree with the guy, the 6BG6 sound quite a bit better. But they are very tall!

I'm gone.

There are 4 amps gracing Jerry Towers at the moment ...

Restek Challenger (130 wpc ss)
    Inca Tech Claymore (mk1) (50 wpc ss)
    Yarland FV-34Ciii (12 wpc el84 valves)
    Lowther Club Jazz 6L6 (8 wpc 6BG6 valves)

What with the Scalford Show coming up and Matt 'fatmarley' bringing his show-bound prototype 3-way speakers round for a final audition and tweak sesh last night (we are sharing a dem room - Syndicate 2 ) I've been playing with all 4 amps recently. So I figured I'd share some further thoughts on how they compare ....

Firstly , they really are all fine amps.

- Overall, the Restek has the best grip and drive, but in terms of actual sound quality comes at the bottom of the heap. This is a mighty fine performing heap, though!
    Imaging, tonality and just sheer believability aren't quite up there with the others. It's simply a very good 'traditional sounding' solid state amp.
    It's my fave candidiate for the Scalford dem room, I think.

- The Claymore has the richest tonality and a wonderfully plangent way with transients from plucked strings - guitar, harpsichord etc. But isn't as open and 3D as the valve amps. It's a bit like a very high class chocolate - rich and yummy and very satisfying! It always has you coming back for more. Both Matt and I suspect it was running out of puff with really loud playback and getting a bit brash up top with the fatmarley 3-ways.

Matt's speaker designs do not get on with valves, sadly. Last year my beast of a 70wpc Icon Audio valve amp simply sounded awful with the 2-way design! So we didn't even try the dinky valve amps I have on hand this year with his new 3-ways.

But from previous listening with the MBLs ....

- The Yarland has the best imaging - amazingly holographic, and probably beats the Jazz on resolution and transient speed, and it has enough power for anything I want the MBL speakers to do.
    If Justin came a-visiting I'd connect the Restek up, though.

- Jazz is very good, but may be just a tad inferior to Yarly overall. But there is something about it that specially appeals that I still can't quite put my finger on. It might just be the looks - the Jazzster does look amazing! But she does begin to run out of whoomph at very loud levels or with bass heavy material played quite loud. it's not a safe allrounder for most of my listening like the others.

They were all cheap enough that there are no real problems with keeping them all for now and enjoy what each has to offer.
    Mullet systems rule!
    Last edited by jandl100; 14-02-2016 at 09:25.

I'm gone.

And for those who like to look ....

Restek

Claymore

Yarland

Jazz (but not with up to date valves - only the power valves remain the same)

I'm Martin.

Have you ever tried a Radford STA15 in your set up, Jerry?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Have you ever tried a Radford STA15 in your set up, Jerry?
    Nope, I've never had a Radford, Martin - so much hifi, so little time.

A Leak Stereo 20 might come closest to that? Dunno.

I'm Martin.

At a previous NEBO we compared an stereo 20 to the Radford, I thought the Radford was better, although I liked the stereo 20.

At the last one the Radford was there again and went on late after lots of amps. I don't know what it is about it but it is just so fundamentally 'right' it actually bothers me

I know they are not easy to get hold of but it should be on your list (if not already).
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread