+ Reply to Thread
Page 153 of 310 FirstFirst ... 53103143151152153154155163203253 ... LastLast
Results 1,521 to 1,530 of 3091

Thread: Justin & Jerry's Hifi Blog

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Audio Al View Post
    Jerry

With that many sheep around i'm surprised Marco is not a lodger
    Yerse... That was the picture before I introduced them to my big 'lamb shank'...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm gone.

Right.
    Vinyl front end in my main rig sorted.

I had decided to downsize my phonostage as |I don't use my LP rig that much. So I sold my lovely Jasmine 'stage and bought a small, neat and cheap Angle Audio Audiophile phono stage, and very decent it is, too. But it doesn't quite have the high MC stage gain of the Jasmine and some hiss was evident when the volume was turned up a bit, using my low output (0.23mV) Linn Asak cart. Livable with, but ....

Then this appeared in the Wam classifieds ...

I've just got back from collecting it.
    No hiss/hum even when fully maxed out on the volume knob. And it sounds excellent.

So it's back to a full size component with similar £££ invested as the Jasmine!

I'm Grant.

whats that Jerry? an audiolab?
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Right.
    Vinyl front end in my main rig sorted.

I had decided to downsize my phonostage as |I don't use my LP rig that much. So I sold my lovely Jasmine 'stage and bought a small, neat and cheap Angle Audio Audiophile phono stage, and very decent it is, too. But it doesn't quite have the high MC stage gain of the Jasmine and some hiss was evident when the volume was turned up a bit, using my low output (0.23mV) Linn Asak cart. Livable with, but ....
    Join the Graham Slee forum. Then under the loan scheme you can try an ERA V Gold or Reflex M or Reflex C for MCs. They do everything very nicely and not bettered at the price by some margin. My ERA V Gold was better than the EAR 834P I was using. Got the Reflex M now with an SUT and in no hurry to move on.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm gone.

Yep, Grant, there's an Audiolab in that there murk!
    It's very good, I'd kinda missed the Jasmine 'stage and was beginning to regret selling it.
    The little Angle Audio is excellent for the money (and will be up for sale shortly ) but doesn't quite have the level of res and subtlety of the much more expensive Jasmine / Audiolab.
    But the best move for a box swapper is to try something new and I'd fancied one of those 8000PPAs ever since the seller bought it and sold me his Trichord NCPSU for my Dino several years ago and was extolling its virtues.

I've heard a Graham Slee stage in the past, Geoff - at Paul RFC's place, iirc? Not sure, maybe I briefly owned one. And I have to confess I wasn't bowled over when compared to whatever I had at the time - I forget what that was was now! If it's a Tannoy-Boy sort of sound then it may well not be for me!

Nah, the Audiolab will do me for the foreseeables (i.e. at least until the end of next week ). I'm sure I shall be dusting off me vinyls and exploring its capabilities over the coming days.

I'm Paul.

Yep, Grant, there's an Audiolab in that there murk!
    It's very good, I'd kinda missed the Jasmine 'stage and was beginning to regret selling it.
    The little Angle Audio is excellent for the money (and will be up for sale shortly ) but doesn't quite have the level of res and subtlety of the much more expensive Jasmine / Audiolab.
    But the best move for a box swapper is to try something new and I'd fancied one of those 8000PPAs ever since the seller bought it and sold me his Trichord NCPSU for my Dino several years ago and was extolling its virtues.

I've heard a Graham Slee stage in the past, Geoff - at Paul RFC's place, iirc? Not sure, maybe I briefly owned one. And I have to confess I wasn't bowled over when compared to whatever I had at the time - I forget what that was was now! If it's a Tannoy-Boy sort of sound then it may well not be for me!

Nah, the Audiolab will do me for the foreseeables (i.e. at least until the end of next week ). I'm sure I shall be dusting off me vinyls and exploring its capabilities over the coming days.
    It was a Graham Slee Jerry but a very basic one, perhaps two up from the bottom in its range, so hardly a fair comparison with a Dino and NCPS! The higher Graham Slee stages are very good indeed, so I wouldn't be too hasty to write them off on the basis of what you heard. Also, you were listening with a humble DL110 in the mix when at the time I think you were using a 10x5 with the Dino. Apples and oranges so no conclusions should really be drawn as to an entire range of quality designs from Graham Slee I reckon.

Shame you didn't get to listen to the Cornet valve stage yesterday...I reckon you'd have liked that.

I'm gone.

Ah, yes - thanks Paul. I knew my memory was a bit dodgy on that.

Memory returns! - maybe
    Did I have an Edwards Audio stage of my own then? About the same price as the Slee and it saw it off no problem - iirc, which I probably don't!

Anyway, yes, tis wrong to write of a range of product on the basis of one comparison of one in the range.

But the Audiolab is a fine thing, too.
    -- and I can run two turntables into it! -- probably a bad capability for me to have.

I'm Paul.

Ah, yes - thanks Paul. I knew my memory was a bit dodgy on that.

Memory returns! - maybe
    Did I have an Edwards Audio stage of my own then? About the same price as the Slee and it saw it off no problem - iirc, which I probably don't!

Anyway, yes, tis wrong to write of a range of product on the basis of one comparison of one in the range.

But the Audiolab is a fine thing, too.
    -- and I can run two turntables into it! -- probably a bad capability for me to have.
    The one I had was a Graham Slee Gram Amp 2. You had two at the time. A Trichord Dino and an Angle audio one. They both saw off the cheap as chips Slee but didn't see off my EAR 864 (no surprises there!). I'd have expected nothing elss tbh as theGramamp cost buttons and was 4 or 5 times less expensive than the Trichord/NCPS. I dont recall you bringing and Edwards stage but I'm pretty sure it would have been fairly similar to the Gramamp as it uses a similar circuit and is in the same cost ball park. Any differences would have been minor having heard both at one stage or other in the past.

The Cornet phono stage betters even the EAR 864. Happy to lend it out some time.

I'm gone.

Ah, right. I had an Angle Audio stage then. What it is to have a memory!

I was sure I had a cheap one similar price to the Slee that saw it off. That Gram Amp 2 wasn't much cop at all, imo. Bland and drab.

No, ta, to the loan offer on the Cornet - I'm happy with the Audiolab.

I'm gone.

New amp to play with - arrived yesterday freezing cold - so left it overnight to get to room temperature.

Inca Tech Claymore. These come with quite a strong reputation so when this one came along on eBay for a decent price I thought I'd give it a go.

I couldn't get spade lugs on my preferred (Virtue Audio) speaker cables to make contact, so have reverted to previous XLO cables with 4mm plugs.

I can't really listen til my late-rising other 'alf gets up. Very quiet play sounds promising, though!

+ Reply to Thread