+ Reply to Thread
Page 137 of 310 FirstFirst ... 3787127135136137138139147187237 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,370 of 3091

Thread: Justin & Jerry's Hifi Blog

I'm Justin.

Click on the Appears On for a simple Shostakovich search and you get loads - isn't the reason the artists are NOT Shostakovich?? Rather who is playing it?

I'm Justin.

Anyway Qobuz I found more bizarre and various reviews I read concurred. Again messing with search terms let you find more.

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Why is the search function crap? ....

First thing I do in Tidal is search "Shostakovich".
    About 9 recordings turn up, I was expecting many hundreds. Crap, I thought, why have I signed up to this junk?
    Pondering, I couldn't imagine it was actually that poorly populated - so I searched on "Shostakovich quartets" and about 30 recordings turned up!

Similar experiences on other classical things.
    Must be very strangely indexed / linked -- you have to come at things quite deviously to find stuff.
    But it's OK - I'll persevere.
    There is some seriously good classical material on there, just have to keep on trying in order to find it!

And yep, using it thru Google Chrome
    Never used any of these streaming things but I have found a lot of online databases arent set up right
    Dont have the right fields for classical music as they were set up for pop where you have artist, album, track
    composer just isnt catered for good luck
    Have you tried serching for Rozhdestvensky my favourite Shostakovich conducter

I'm Sam.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    All correct Sam. If something you liked disappears then buy it I reckon. Otherwise - live life on the edge
    Haha! On the other hand, yes just live life on the edge and not think so much! Just do it.. If I was better with money and thinking about streaming services, I think that actually would have swayed me.

I'm Sam.

Quote Originally Posted by agk View Post
    It'll be a cold day in hell when I start that gubbins.
    He says, posting from Peterborough...

I'm Justin.

The real reason for TIDAL membership is the Nicki Minaj exclusive videos. Stay away Jerry - she is my girlfriend, not yours.
    Last edited by User211; 20-05-2015 at 21:42.

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronksley View Post
    Never used any of these streaming things but I have found a lot of online databases arent set up right
    Dont have the right fields for classical music as they were set up for pop where you have artist, album, track
    composer just isnt catered for good luck
    Have you tried serching for Rozhdestvensky my favourite Shostakovich conducter
    Yes, I think you are right - just need to persevere with classical searches and try and sneak your way in!

I've had a hankering after Rozhdestvensky's complete Vaughan Williams symphonies (yes, really!) for quite a while but never quite persuaded myself to part with the ££ for the CDs ---- but YES the set is on Tidal. - haven't listened yet, my Broadband Unlimited has only just now switched on. Later today I'll give it a 'spin'.

Lessee - Shostakovich / Rozh --- at first glance there are some 7, 9 10 -- probably more once you dig in. Also a whole series (25-30 or so) of various Rozh called Classical Masters - Bruckner (yum!), Sibelius, Prokofiev, Scriabin .....
    All told over 100 albums with Rozh - some aren't even titled properly by composer! - what a mess! - it will be fun investigating them, though.

I'm gone.

Just been doing some more delving .... Shee-it. There's a classical music treasure trove on Tidal.

I'll do a proper sound quality assessment over the next few days, comparing CD with the same streamed Tidal file, but it is certainly very listenable.
    You'll have to take my Tidal subscription from my cold dead fingers.

Thank you, Justin, for persevering with nagging me into giving it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    The real reason for TIDAL membership is the Nicki Minaj exclusive videos. Stay away Jerry - she is my girlfriend, not yours.
    Just had a peek. Yuk. You can have her with my blessing!

I'm Brian.

Cool

Welcome to the dark side Jerry (:
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Just been doing some more delving .... Shee-it. There's a classical music treasure trove on Tidal.

I'll do a proper sound quality assessment over the next few days, comparing CD with the same streamed Tidal file, but it is certainly very listenable.
    You'll have to take my Tidal subscription from my cold dead fingers.

Thank you, Justin, for persevering with nagging me into giving it a try.

Just had a peek. Yuk. You can have her with my blessing!
    The problem with classical is basically the composer isn't the "artist" that played his work. That's why the "Appears On" is so useful e.g. the Shos page only features two albums because he is only credited as being the artist for those two albums. The appears on shows the rest (hopefully, but maybe not). Same problem on Qobuz but TIDAL handle it better IMHO. Qobuz s/w may have changed since I used it but it also used to crash quite a bit and behave weirdly, plus lose all my downloads on the mobile ap and on my PC.

Non-classical searches are better for the reasons outlined above.

Yeah Nicki - she ain't subtle is she?

Have you got a smartphone Jerry? I don't think you have but maybe you have bought one?

+ Reply to Thread