+ Reply to Thread
Page 102 of 310 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152202 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 3091

Thread: Justin & Jerry's Hifi Blog

I'm ChrisB.

Nice Jerry.
    Strangely, I find the Marantz stuff of that era far less exciting to look at as I used to. Like you, I would often find myself drooling over that sort of gear and I owned a few of their receivers over the years (though never a quad model), they somehow don't seem to hold the same magic for me anymore - however I still go gooey for the Sansuis!
    I'm sure you'll enjoy owning it - everyone should own at least one 70's receiver in my opinion!

If you need a service manual, you'll get it here

I'm James.

Lovely Jerry, I miss my 2215/2230 pair. You're now the owner of what's called the "three Martini sound" ... Makes everything sound rose tinted see

Their marketing was right up there with Naim IMO

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    What does she sound like? I have no idea, I just plan to admire her looks.
    Well, perhaps I'll connect her up sometime soon.
    More knobs than you can shake a stick at and you call it a her? Hm...

Around the time those were out I went for a Technics SA-200 - nice, weighty flywheel which the Marantz's never had

Here is one. Still nice, I think. Never did sound too good though. Partnered with Wharfedale Lintons and later Mission 710s.

I'm gone.

Great ad there, James, thanks for sharing!

Yeah, lots of knobs, but it's still a her to me. It was love - no, lust - at first sight all those decades ago and the feeling remains undimmed now I have one on my shelves.
    In those circumstances, it is defo not a her as far as I am concerned!

Naturally enough, I couldn't resist wiring her up .... just as a headphone amp for now connected to a CDP. Works A1 and sounds lovely, somewhat in a rose-tinted sense, as James says. Yum.
    She's a stayin' with her new sugar daddy!
    Last edited by jandl100; 28-02-2014 at 21:21.

I'm Nat-andthat'swhyIdrink.

Quote Originally Posted by istari_knight View Post
    Lovely Jerry, I miss my 2215/2230 pair. You're now the owner of what's called the "three Martini sound" ... Makes everything sound rose tinted see

Their marketing was right up there with Naim IMO

Hmm, the copywriter burned this guy's apartment block down with all the floors falling through to the basement, then the Marantz ard hero are re-united and then the copywriter magically re-builds the whole appartment block and our protagonist walks proudly up the stairs carrying his old friend over the threshold and plugs it in again.

Ok... there could be a time delay between the fire and the rubble clearance and the guy sorted out the new flat in between.

I'm Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Sometimes age-old dreams really do come true.

Ever since I was a wee nipper of an audiophile, barely knee-high to a standmount speaker, I have thought that the pinnacle of aesthetic hifi perfection were those Marantz quadraphonic receivers from the 1970s. If you are old enough you must remember them!

Well, inspired (and made insanely jealous) by new AOS member Patrick's Kenwood receiver I perused that well-known online auction site for something that would finally satisfy my 40 year craving.
    And here she is, just arrived all the way from Holland ....

Isn't she a beauty

What does she sound like? I have no idea, I just plan to admire her looks.
    Well, perhaps I'll connect her up sometime soon.
    Jerry, that beastie is exactly what I outlined in my recent thread:
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...ll-sentimental

You cannot beat a sexy blue backlit dial and it doesn't matter if FM broadcasts vanish it will still look gorgeous powered up with nothing to do

I'm gone.

Ah right - I hadn't spotted your thread, Frank - now posted there with a different pic of this l'il beauty!

Who cares if the radio becomes obsolete? - I have unlistenable reception where I live for FM and DAB anyway.

It sounds great with CDs over headphones and looks just amazing.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Effem View Post
    You cannot beat a sexy blue backlit dial and it doesn't matter if FM broadcasts vanish it will still look gorgeous powered up with nothing to do
    Good til 2020 at the earliest. Cars are the major problem. 90% of the 30 million cars in the UK can't get DAB. That means my Scott 1963 all valve 350B has plenty of life in it yet

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by nat8808 View Post

Not pretty but I like the industrial-ness of it for sure! I like the well thoughtout design too with the heatsink in the centre with what looks like connection passing through the centre - guess the smaller section is for the amps, larger for the PSUs. The red screen print on the front is almost Bauhaus too (like Blaupunkt's original bauhaus design)
    It's developed a hum/buzz.

Anyone care to take a look at it and fix it?
    Last edited by jandl100; 05-03-2014 at 08:35.

I'm gone.

Now I know what Martin macca was on about.

Technics SL-P1200 CD player.
    Remote control.
    Works fine.
    Sounds fab. - it really is quite similar in presentation to the equivalent Techie 1200 turntable!

+ Reply to Thread