+ Reply to Thread
Page 217 of 310 FirstFirst ... 117167207215216217218219227267 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,170 of 3091

Thread: Justin & Jerry's Hifi Blog

I'm gone.

Some internal pics of the Pure Sound L10 pre.
    Transformers all over the place.
    It weighs 17Kg - quite a lot for a pre!

I'm Martin.

How many traffos? 6 of them? Crikey!
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Hmm, yeah, your 211 amps don't sound too shabby, Justin.

Might be fun to try the JJ Gold ecc99, though.
    What's the worst that could happen? ....

It is one of Guy's just e-mail him for an opinion I'd say. Also, Tom had one (Montesqieu or however you spell it) that he had up for sale here and claimed it was fully Amperex'd. Could e-mail him.

You could just plug the f*cker in and see what happens. I'm awaiting the mushroom cloud in Portishead...

I'm Justin.

The OTK stamp means mil spec 6N6P so it appears. There's some gold grid non-OTK ones around and a Chinese knock off too that I haven't seen before. Actually I was aware of the non-OTK gold grid ones now I think about it. 10 gold grids for £30 odd quid isn't bad really. My OTK ones have been going for years now with no issues.

Which Rusky one(s) have you actually got?

I'm gone.

The L10 only has 2 valves inside.
    The 6n6p and a 6z4.

I can't recall what 6n6p is in there, but I'm sure it didn't have a red nip - and I can't be bothered to take it out of the rack and pop the lid again!

Yes, I noticed the gold grids on eBay, some gold pins as well.

I've ordered us a batch of 8 gold grids for £20 from sunny Ukraine?
    I'll keep 2, you can have 6.
    Last edited by jandl100; 20-06-2017 at 07:55.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Pin 9 is an internal shield in 6n6p, in ECC99 it is the heater centre tap for 12.6v operation. Check with Guy, will depend on the circuit.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm jp.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    6N6P is a discontinued Russian super tube which makes a good 211/845 driver tube. I have two on them in each of my 211 monos.

The ones I use have the nipple painted red. I also have a box full for backup. They are (or were not checked recently) super cheap. These non-red nipple ones sound duff. I dunno why maybe they need a lot of break-in but they DO sound duff. Mr Lampi seems to hint they do need break-in as they can sound duff to start with.

They look identical internally. I suspect yours say OTK on them as I have never seen another type.

I searched for replacements for ages and never had the guts to use anything else.

That said those 211 monos are my favourite amps of all time. So they can't be too hampered by the 6N6P.
    My SJS pre has been modified (much to Simon's dismay I suspect given some of the components) to use a 6N6P so I did a little research on the tube and what could be had/found. The red top it is suggested is a "specially selected" marker and probably 1970s vintage.

The common consensus appeared to be that the best sounding ones were 1960s OTK (military quality approved marker) versions. I have 1 spare 1965 NOS OTK tube if you fancied trying borrowing it to compare. (PM with address Jerry). They are a PITA to find though now.

I'm gone.

Thanks JP.

I'll PM you.

--- but what if I can't bear to be without it?

I'm jp.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Thanks JP.

I'll PM you.

--- but what if I can't bear to be without it?
    They can be found and are circa £35 each IIRC. TBH I haven't done any real tube swapping as it came with a 1960s OTK and 1 spare so if you find something better it'd save me the hassle of tube swapping :-)

I'm gone.

"diceman has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space."

+ Reply to Thread