+ Reply to Thread
Page 221 of 310 FirstFirst ... 121171211219220221222223231271 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,210 of 3091

Thread: Justin & Jerry's Hifi Blog

I'm gone.

Coo, it's not often that I come across someone less brave than me about internal tinkering.
    Tube rolling is as far as I go.

Stock valves are often pretty basic and can easily be improved on, or your preferred sonic flavour selected.

I'm Justin.

OK I have had a look at my stock of 6N6P valves.

So I have quite a few as it turns out. The date stamps are 79, 80, 84 and 89 some in different months in the same year.

Despite exterior markings (OTK, red nipples, 8068, gold grid terminology) etc they all look absolutely identical internally as far as the eye can see.

In that PM I sent I was wrong when I said I saw a difference Jerry. I have double checked and there is none.

So whether there really is a different 6N6P out there to the lot I have is very questionable to my mind.

That said, I was convinced last night when I listened to Jerry's 84's that they were better than my 79's. Maybe my 79's have become a little tired - I have been using them for years. The 84's simply sounded more lively and dynamic.

All madness this hobby.

Was also messing with a pair of VT68 GPO and some KR PX-4 in the Lampy. The PX-4s are sounding great with my latest x-over mod (done about 2 weeks ago). Gonna stuff some Jantzen Alumen caps and maybe Dueland bypass caps in the x-overs as I am sure the x-over values/circuit I have at the mo is the best yet.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Predictably enough, I couldn't wait a week or so to see what the L10 pre brought to the party. More like an hour or so.

Yup, superb. You can't beat a system with a great active pre, imo.

Opposite IMO.Passive always better.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    Opposite IMO.Passive always better.
    I thought that for years then changed my mind. Might change it again

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post

That said, I was convinced last night when I listened to Jerry's 84's that they were better than my 79's. Maybe my 79's have become a little tired - I have been using them for years. The 84's simply sounded more lively and dynamic..
    I suspect it is a real difference.
    It's a different comparison, but I found my new gold grids more dynamic and vibrant.

I'm Justin.

How old is the L10?

I'm gone.

Less than a year.

I'm Justin.

No wear to speak of on the stock valve then. Mine have been worked hard driving 211s for years. Last time I messed with the 6N6Ps was not long after I got the amps.

That said who knows.

BTW order Dueland inductors and you have to wait 3 months for them. Learn something everyday.

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Coo, it's not often that I come across someone less brave than me about internal tinkering.
    Tube rolling is as far as I go.

Stock valves are often pretty basic and can easily be improved on, or your preferred sonic flavour selected.
    yes indeed ! thats me ! i leave the tinkering to other folks !
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm gone.

I swapped in an OTK 6n6 in the L10 pre yesterday. Not the one JP loaned me, I haven't tried that yet.
    Sounded a bit different to the 'gold grid' but OK.
    Listening today - I've settled in with the sound ... and I was losing the will to live. It's kind of drab and lacklustre.
    Swapped back to the gold grid and the system is boogying again!

+ Reply to Thread