+ Reply to Thread
Page 238 of 310 FirstFirst ... 138188228236237238239240248288 ... LastLast
Results 2,371 to 2,380 of 3091

Thread: Justin & Jerry's Hifi Blog

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by hornucopia View Post
    Only the envious ones-or the insecure?
    Be true to thyself-just cool.

My MHDT dac has a valve sticking out too.At least my (Headphone use) iDecco valve is just visible through a window.
    You still got that thing Chris? You must be found of it.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Lots of people say I'm full of shit already.
    Anyone who posts on public forums has lovers and haters. Me? I love your exploratory anti-establishment approach.

Fuck the naysayers.

I really do think some cheap gear has merits. But then you do dab in quite pricey stuff now and then. It isn't as if you aren't wise. You most definitely are.

Your speakers are tolerant, though. Whereas mine will spit out anything vaguely compromised.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Anyone who posts on public forums has lovers and haters.
    Yes. And anybody who gives a toss about negativity is maybe too sensitive for forum involvement.

I'm Chris.

You still got that thing Chris? You must be found of it.
    I've always had 'that thing'?

Oh, the MHDT....no, it's now a Havana, much upgraded by the Lord-bested a £3K dac-apparently. Happy to be away from upgraditis.
    Chris.

I'm gone.

Your speakers are tolerant, though. Whereas mine will spit out anything vaguely compromised.
    Aye, true enough.
    Yours are undoubtedly higher rez, but too warts and all for me, and too picky about amplification. I wouldn't swap.
    Amp matching is easy with mine - anything 10wpc or above is just fine for me. Even a decent 8wpc Mini-T will do it for most of my music choices.
    You can play pretty much any music on the MBLs and they will sound at least good, often downright excellent.
    Coming up for 8 years now, with the Mibbles, I think. And I am still completely happy with them.
    Last edited by jandl100; 13-02-2018 at 20:48.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Aye, true enough.
    Yours are undoubtedly higher rez, but too warts and all for me, and too picky about amplification. I wouldn't swap.
    Amp matching is easy with mine - anything 10wpc or above is just fine for me. Even a decent 8wpc Mini-T will do it for most of my music choices.
    You can play pretty much any music on the MBLs and they will sound at least good, often downright excellent.
    Coming up for 8 years now, with the Mibbles, I think. And I am still completely happy with them.
    I pulled the mid range back quite a bit since you last heard them with a crossover mod I came up with. They are now easier but the rez thing will never go away. They are just extremely high rez, no matter where I set the frequency response.

The MBLs are good but they are just too ugly to contemplate ownership. Made by Davros, I reckon.

I'm Chris.

Just found the Havana dac seller's comment (I forget who it was!)

"This very unit convinced me to sell my Esoteric X-03se SACD/CD player. After the upgrades were installed the Havana thrashed the X-03 almost everywhere, with a noticeably more colourful mid and gorgeous top end. The one area that the '03 bettered it was in the bass depth and speed - but not by much (and we're talking about one of the best cd players in it's price range at £6000 here!)

This unique DAC was very extensively upgraded last year by our very own Earl of Sodbury at Wychwood Audionics - with higher spec (lower distortion) DAC chips, Mundorf Supreme caps, power supply upgrades, higher value caps and resistors throughout. I have also fitted a very rare 1950s JW Western Electric 2C51 valve - these alone fetch £40-50 on E-Bay. The valve sounds far nicer than the GE 5670 supplied by MHDT.

The standard Havana is already a highly-reviewed unit - the upgrades have brought superior clarity/insight, superb tonal colour. more detail and noticeably deeper/controlled bass. In fact i've never heard any NOS DAC that does bass like the Havana."

Like Jerry, I've had my speakers for 10 years now. Ocellia Calliope .21 Grandis Signatures, for those who don't know.Lovely organic sound.
    Chris.

I'm gone.

The MBLs are good but they are just too ugly to contemplate ownership. Made by Davros, I reckon.
    I know what you mean.
    Looks-wise your Aps are Nicki Minaj to my MBLs' Susan Boyle.

I'm Justin.

I'm not sure Susan doesn't look a bit better, and Niki had better be careful with that razor blade or she'll burst the bags.

Anyway look wot I got.

I'm gone.

So, waddya reckon?

What's the verdict against the might of the Lampi? And the Schiit?

I liked it, for what it did well.

It looks lost against the rolling vastness of the Lampizator!

I should have a new DAC turning up next week.
    Last edited by jandl100; 22-02-2018 at 07:20.

+ Reply to Thread