Page 253 of 310 FirstFirst ... 153203243251252253254255263303 ... LastLast
Results 2,521 to 2,530 of 3091

Thread: Justin & Jerry's Hifi Blog

I'm Chris.

Default Valves? Soooo last year/ (-:

Chris.

I'm Justin.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Xian...833031505.html

Feedback good. Might well order for kicks/curiousity. The 5A is solid state only I believe as opposed to the 05B here. There's some in Germany on ebay but well over £300.

I'm gone.

When do you get your updated Lampi back? - your enthusiasm for XiangSheng might wain a bit at that point!

I've settled in with the Reflektor 6n3 valve at the moment - it is sounding very good. Not yet gotten around to trying the WE JAN 5670W.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    When do you get your updated Lampi back? - your enthusiasm for XiangSheng might wain a bit at that point!

I've settled in with the Reflektor 6n3 valve at the moment - it is sounding very good. Not yet gotten around to trying the WE JAN 5670W.
    Unsure it went in last week. Was going to call and get an update today. It hasn't gone back to Poland, though.

Don't mind permanently having a couple of DACs, or even three.

I'm Justin.

Well I moved the jumpers into active preamp mode on the Xiang Sheng last night. Disaster - it appears the unit can't supply a healthy level of output in that mode without a mass of distortion, at least on the valve output.

There had to be a catch somewhere

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Well I moved the jumpers into active preamp mode on the Xiang Sheng last night. Disaster - it appears the unit can't supply a healthy level of output in that mode without a mass of distortion, at least on the valve output.

There had to be a catch somewhere
    ah, well i wont bother then. shame
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alan.

That doesn't sound right at all, mine is fine in both modes.

I'm gone.

Must admit, I don't recall any probs like that when I used my 1st DAC-01A in preamp mode.
    But then I don't listen as LOUD as Justin does.

I'm still loving mine - tbh it's all the DAC I'll ever need.
    -- but I'm sure there will come a time when I'll be tempted to listen with my wallet rather than my ears again.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    That doesn't sound right at all, mine is fine in both modes.
    It was OK up to about 12 o'clock on the volume control, but that was pretty tame volume wise. Then distortion crept in getting progressively worse as I moved towards end of scale. I'd had a couple of glasses of wine before I did it and maybe that coloured my judgement, so I'll try it again soon, but the switch back to my active pre certainly sounded one hell of a lot better at any volume. Still pretty impressed with it in DAC mode, though.

Jerry I'll try and get the valves out to you next week.

I'm Justin.

OK so having a play around now in preamp mode.

It appears that my power amps aren't sensitive enough for the Xiang's output. It is good to about 3 o'clock on both solid state and tube outputs but it just doesn't give enough output to go loud. Beyond 3 o'clock it is distorted - the output stage of the Xiang is beyond its comfort zone.

In reality on both solid state and tube outputs I'd be freakin' amazed if it hits its distortion specs to be quite frank. I think it is quite high but in a euphonic manner. its damn fine sounding but I'm always left thinking hm... that sounds a little dodgy - it isn't 100% clean no matter what output you're using.

I hear it in my system, you may not in yours. It is nit-picking and minor especially at this price but I maintain it is there.

+ Reply to Thread