+ Reply to Thread
Page 210 of 310 FirstFirst ... 110160200208209210211212220260 ... LastLast
Results 2,091 to 2,100 of 3091

Thread: Justin & Jerry's Hifi Blog

I'm Martin.

An active pre-amp with unity gain can't be a new thing. Isn't that effectively what 'The Truth' is? That one Adey's got?

Unusual to see Jez waxing lyrical. Especially when he was pretty confident before hand that it was a worthless exercise.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Betwixt pre and power amps was the idea.
    I'll give it a go between DAC and pre as well, see which I prefer.
    I've been toying with the idea recently of getting a passive pre again , could be a good match!
    Your DAC and active pre in effect already have buffers at their outputs! My passive pre has worst case output impedance of 12.5K (50K pot) and this is buffered to be only 75R, hence giving the same low impedance and "cable driving" ability as an active pre. Theoretically, in your suggested application you are just basically replicating what's already there.... and of course adding one more stage to the signal path. It will be interesting to see what you think anyway though

Again Theoretically it is ideally used, as in there is a scientific reason for doing so, between something with fairly weedy driving ability, such as a passive or many valve sources (phono stage, pre etc), via fairly short interconnects, and can drive anything (within reason!) at it's outputs, like a SS power amp with only 10K input impedance or long interconnects etc.

Well I'm considering going out to check out some of the live music going on all over town today. Free live music in virtually every pub due to "Bedrock" day here in Bedlington..... Previous experience forewarns me to expect large quantities of VERY drunk people unfortunately.. I can't stand walking into that when stone cold sober! (ok half a bottle of nice Pilsner lager downed so far). Being 6'4" and having dreadlocks down to my arse makes me a real "numpty magnet" in these situations unfortunately!! I keep meaning to make up some cards saying "Yes it's real hair, no I don't put bee's wax on it, about 25 years pal, yes I wash it, now fuck off!"
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    An active pre-amp with unity gain can't be a new thing. Isn't that effectively what 'The Truth' is? That one Adey's got?

Unusual to see Jez waxing lyrical. Especially when he was pretty confident before hand that it was a worthless exercise.
    Correct on all fronts. Yes I must admit I'm surprised at what this is doing betwixt passive and power amp. My number 1 suspicion being that the power amp itself is seeing a nice low impedance driving it and this is helping this power amp to give its best subjective performance. If so then the effect will be very "power amp specific". It could be I've been hearing what a 12.5K impedance driving the capacitance of 4M of cable sounds like and this has removed the negative effect... I dunno but it sounds quite a lot better. Much bigger difference than anything I've changed in "voicing" this prototype power amp type quite a lot better!
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Martin.

4 metres. That's long. I use 50 cm which is the shortest that is practical. Could it be you are just compensating for the lengthy cable run?
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Grant, if you want a loaner of the Xiang Sheng I'll send it off to you next weekend.
    It's the latest version, with a Cirrus chip, defo a step or two ahead of the one I have loaned to Martin.
    My one has arrived in England Gerry. Not heard fron DHL yet tho. shouldnt be too long hopefully
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm gone.

I'm Grant.

A pass labs x150 eh? nice anyway
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

That's a fair chunk of metal. Pass labs?
    Current Lash Up:

I'm gone.

Imposing, isn't it.

New pre-amp to partner it arriving in a few days.

I'm Geoff.

Very nice.

(still got a hankering for an Aleph 3 myself)
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread