+ Reply to Thread
Page 117 of 310 FirstFirst ... 1767107115116117118119127167217 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,170 of 3091

Thread: Justin & Jerry's Hifi Blog

I'm gone.

I very briefly owned a Technics SL-7 - a very similar beast in concept - and that sounded pretty crap, tbh. Others seem to like them, though, and rate the SL-10 as much better.

Yep, I'll see how it goes with the new cart, hopefully it will turn up today/tomorrow. A fun thing to play with for a few tens of £.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    I very briefly owned a Technics SL-7 - a very similar beast in concept - and that sounded pretty crap, tbh.
    Really? The SL-7 is one of the best of the breed IMHO!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    Really? The SL-7 is one of the best of the breed IMHO!
    Oh dear - that does not bode well. Maybe mine was off-colour ... it was "OK" just kind of bland and uninspiring. Maybe I should look into an upmarket p mount cart? I've a £40 Audio Technica with elliptical stylus on the way.

I'm gone.

Kudos and top marks to Juno Records - I placed order for new AT p mount cartridge at 4.30pm yesterday, it has just been delivered. Astonishing service!
    http://www.juno.co.uk/

And I have to say that the little Akai turntable sounds very fine indeed. A league better than my memory of the Technics SL7 - maybe the latter had a worn stylus?

Anyway - this will go very nicely indeed in my 2nd system.

I'm Grant.

i use juno too and theycare always fast
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm gone.

Battle of the cartridges ...

vs

The Denon DL-110 was always going to have an uphill battle as of the dozens of cartridges I have owned and heard the Orty MC25FL is by far my fave. It just hits the spot for me with its musical sophistication and focussed 3D imaging. Despite my gear-swapping ways I keep going back to it, this is the 3rd one I have owned. Generally it's a mistake for me to return to a previously owned component - its idiosyncrasies become immediately recalled and stick out like a sore thumb. But, like my MBL speakers, the Ortofon MC25FL just seems to suit me - I kind of settle back and think 'yeah, that's how it should go'.

The DL-110 put up a sturdy and commendable struggle, mind, but class will tell in the end. It took quite a few hours for significant differences to become evident - both are fine music transducers - but then the Orty got into its stride and ended up the clear winner for me. It's worth bearing in mind that even at used prices the Orty is twice the Denon's price, so it wasn't really that fair a comparison.

And of course tonearm compatability comes in to the equation and a somewhat different electrical circuit is used in my phonostage for hi-output (Denon) and lo-output (Ortofon) MC carts, so it was never going to be a level playing field.

Anyways, come the New Year the Denon DL-110 will be up for sale. Start the queue here.

I'm gone.

Pic of current 2nd system setup ... sounding rather good.

I'm Alan.

How can the pig sleep with all that racket going on?
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

synsei Guest

Nice collection of Sony gear there Jerry, is that a transport and DAC or CDP and tuner? Also, wossat on top of the DVD player, cassette or DAT?

I'm gone.

Ah, no, not all Sony gear.

From the bottom ....

Sony 940R amp
    Pioneer 575A DVD player used as CDP
    Denon minidisc player.
    Denon tuner and cassette deck
    Akai AP-M7 turntable

And Usher X-719 speakers.

+ Reply to Thread