+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Justin & Jerry's Hifi Blog

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm gone.

Default New speakers

Following my unsuccessful venture into the world of Horning speakers, a swap deal has resulted in the acquisition of some ProAc Studio 140 speakers and a Pro-Ject Tube Box phono stage.

The ProAcs are quite pretty aren't they?

I first wired the ProAcs up to my MF A370 solid state amp. Yuk - big mistake. What have I done? The sound was bloated, bland and lo-rez. Hmmm ... these are for the Classifieds, pronto!

ProAcs are often an easy amp load, though, so I thought I'd hook up my Chinese OTL valve monoblocks. I hadn't used them in ages - they are no use at all with my 4 Ohm average Audio Physic Virgos.
    Wow - zounds & bejeebers! Music - room filling, hi-rez, spacious and wonderful, and full of vitality and pizzazz!

And those OTL amps look so purdy glowing away (and usefully heating the room!).

The ProAcs are pointing pretty much straight ahead, with their griilles on - the treble gets a little enthusiastic otherwise.

And that Pro-Ject Tube Box phono stage is a little honey, too - it's sitting on the floor between the amps and the speaker - it replaced (and thoroughly stomped on) an MF X-LPSv3 / X-PSUv3 combo.
    Last edited by jandl100; 14-12-2008 at 10:42.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Jerry,

What did you find wrong with the Hornings, incidentally? Did you try them with valves? Just curious as I've always wondered how they'd sound driven by a nice P/P valve amp

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm gone.

Hi Marco
    The Hornings were just too coloured for my musical tastes, and not large scale enough for classical music, and not deep enough or taut enough in the bass. After a few days all I was hearing was the colourations!

Yup, tried valves - Leak Stereo 20 and my OTLs. The OTLs didn't sound good at all - but the Zeuses were 6 ohm nominal dipping to 4 ohms - and OTLs really don't like that sort of load at all. But even the Leak was easily outshone by my MF A370. Not what I had expected.

I guess I am just more of a 'monitor' sort of a guy ... I doubt I'll be repeating the Horning-type route again. I can hear why some folks love their Fostex and Lowther drivers, but they are not for me.

I'm gone.

My latest toy arrived yesterday ... took a while to get it motoring as it has smaller than usual output pins and my headshell tags required careful squeezing to close them up a little ... but now it's really singing

I'm gone.

New Toys !!

OMG - simply superb in so many ways!

... yes, I know the room's a mess , but I'd only just set 'em up and stuff was still all over the place!

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post

Excellent, Jerry. A true 'den of iniquity'

Keep up the good work!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm gone.

These should arrive today ...

Exciting, isn't it!

I doubt my Cary SET valve amps will be able to drive them - but I expect my 400wpc Bel Canto eVo4 will do just fine.
    Last edited by jandl100; 12-08-2009 at 08:32.

Nice one, Jerry... But what are they exactly? Are they famous (somewhere?) and we're supposed to know, like...

{Edit: I've just viewed your post in 'Admin mode' and noticed that they are designs from Infinity}.

A bit more info for the benefit of the uninitiated would be good, matey!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    A bit more info for the benefit of the uninitiated would be good, matey!

Marco.
    What? I thought part of the fun was identifying unusual kit.

Anyway, you hifi forum admin types are supposed to know everything about hifi!

Anyone else know?

If you want to cheat .... Info link .... http://www.bobbyshred.com/infinity/RS25.html

They should be nice, Jerry. You may be surprised just how good the Carys are at driving them... As long as they have a fairly flat impedance curve, efficiency of at least 86db, or so, and don't have stupidly complicated crossovers, then they should be fine.

We look forward to a full write-up (with pictures of them in situ) in Strokes of Genius

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast