+ Reply to Thread
Page 89 of 310 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199139189 ... LastLast

Thread: Justin & Jerry's Hifi Blog

I'm gone.

Oh my gosh!
    How cute can an amp get?

A nice little Ming Da 18wpc SET amp, with a couple of KT90 - intended for a 2nd system that is probably a couple of months (and about 70 miles) away.
    This came up in the Wam classifieds, I'd heard it at a bake-off a few months back and had been impressed, to say the least.
    I wasn't planning to start prepping the aforementioned 2nd system yet (best to buy the house first, really! ) - but such a bargain I could not resist!

Not ideally suited to my MBL speakers, I plan to use it with some Usher X719 standmounts, but I'll be giving it a spin later on today, for sure!

I'm Rob.

Having heard that amp over at a wammers place before, its a bargain if you were looking for a new SET under £1k.
    Played Dance/Electronic at higher volumes that I would usually do with some moderate efficient (~89dB) full-range speakers.
    Plenty of drive and bass control. Did much better than my Decware in that system :P
    Michell Mycro / AT33PTG/II | Ray Samuels F-117 Nighthawk | Yamaha CD-NT670D | Bryston B60R | ATC SCM10

I'm James.

I'd be interested to hear your take on the Ming Da especially compared to the Yaqin...

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
    I'd be interested to hear your take on the Ming Da especially compared to the Yaqin...
    Hmm, yes, interesting comparison - and they are about the same £ used.

The Minging One has better 3D imaging.
    And it had a horribly grainy edgy treble with the stock Chinese 12AU7 valves - a pair of JAN Philips 5963 has sorted that out, though!

The Yacky (in 65wpc UL mode) has faster and more powerful dynamics. Mind you, it has over 3x as much power on hand! It's a bigger and bolder sound all round.
    Then again, my relatively inefficient 84dB/W MBL speakers are always going to be a challenge for a low powered (18wpc) SET amp when trying to flex the walls. It'll be fine into my 88dB/W Usher X719 standmounts, which are its intended partners.
    The Yack in 30wpc Triode mode is not a contender as far as I am concerned.

The Ming edges the Yack in terms of tonal richness and variety of tonal colour, both are good, though.

Bass on both would surprise many folks who expect valve amp bass to be loose and flabby. It's taut and powerful.

Rez is about the same - i.e. very good.

The Ming has remote control of volume and a pretty power gauge at the front. -- and is pukka UK voltage.

The Yack has external setting of power tube bias, the Ming requires you to poke conducting probes into high voltage.

The Ming is smaller and lighter - and better suited to my needs.

Both are very fine amps, imho, and stupidly good value at used prices.

I'm James.

Thanks Jerry, really helpful !

I'm gone.

Copied from another thread, but relevant here -->

I'm halfway thru trying Vibrapods under my speakers.

See Abso!ute Sound review here

I ordered two sets of 4, but Analogue Seduction only sent 1 set , so I have 'pods under the rear of the speakers only at the moment (I have the speakers slightly tilted forward anyway). Hopefully the other set will arrive today.

To my surprise (I'm not a great believer in damping, in general, finding that it often sucks the life out of the sound) the results so far are very positive indeed. My wonderful speakers are a significant bit more wonderful!
    Detail and imaging/focus are improved, and the top end is just a tad smoother (in a realistic kind of way). Very pleased, I am, and looking forward to trying the full Vibrapod treatment once the remaining 4 arrive.

I'm gone.

Well, the other set of 4 Vibrapods has arrived and duly installed under my speakers, so they are now entirely supported by 'pods.
    The speakers do wobble a bit when prodded.

Oops, not a good move.
    The sound has now become vague and bloomy, losing it's focus and solidity.
    Out they come!
    ... but the pair supporting the rear of each speaker are definitely staying.

Now to see if the spare set of 4 Vibrapods can find a happy home under other components .....

MartinT Guest

How do they cope with the weight, Jerry?

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    How do they cope with the weight, Jerry?
    Fine - you can get them in 5 grades of firmness - Model 5 is for supporting 22 to 28 pounds (lb) per Vibrapod. My speakers are 45Kg / 100lb. Spot on!

-- you'd need to double them up for monster speakers like yours, though, Martin!

I'm Steve.

'mornin' Jerry

I use Vibrapods under a Vertex Targa distribution block, where despite the unit's instruction to be sited on it's rubber feet they transform the presentation. They give me more "out of the box" air and a freedom to the sound. This can be at the expense of some directness and perceived attack, but when the balance is right with other system settings then this decoupling performs a function that I haven't been able to reproduce any other way.

I don't think you'll keep the partial decoupling under your speakers once you get used to it though, you tend to notice the benefits first and then the negatives later. They don't work the same for the AG1500 unfortunately, RDC cones or rubber pads seem better and I haven't been able to get on with them under any electronics.
    Steve & Valerie

www.electricbeachaudio.com

If you think you know the answer already, you're not really searching

A plastic box, some glass bottles, two metal tins and some lengths of string

+ Reply to Thread