+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Proms

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    . . . and the atmosphere is unbeatable.
    That for me hits the nail on the head, going to a live performance is so much more than just what it sounds like, especially the RAH
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Jon.

Quote Originally Posted by colinB View Post
    I havent been to the Proms but i did see Yes from a balcony just left of the stage. It was weird.
    The only time I went to the RAH was for the return of Spinal Tap. Now that was a gig!

I'm gone.

Anyone hear the Havergal Brian Gothic symphony last night - Wow! - huge, man - I really enjoyed it!
    I went straight online to buy the Naxos CD set.

I'm gone.

Re; Brian Gothic. A bit of personal history ....

I'd owned the Naxos double CD years ago when it first came out (late 80s?) and sold it on quick as it didn't impress. In fact, it rather irritated.

Then listened twice to it on the radio at this year's Proms (live and also the replay a day or so later). Hmmm ... this is better than I thought. And word on the Amazon reviews is that the Naxos set had been re-mastered and was sounding much better.
    So I have re-invested in the new set (single width jewel box, as well, which is handy).

Have now played CD1 a half dozen times at least .. and the damn thing is growing on me. Yes, I like it a lot now. And the sound quality is very good indeed - lovely bass drum work at the end of Tr10 and start of Tr11! The work's opening theme in the lower strings is haunting indeed - and it is subtly woven into the whole structure.
    Certainly not a negligible piece, imo, but it needs a bit of persistence to start to unearth its wonders.

I'm Nigel.

Just listened to Verdi's Requiem, stunning performance and sounded great on the old valves can't wait until I am there next Saturday.

Nigel

MartinT Guest

Next week for me. Can't wait to hear that wonderful organ in full song.

I'm Nigel.

Hi Martin,

Great night on Saturday, good performances all round but the percussion section in the Prokofiev was oustanding

Will be going back next year for sure.

Nigel

I'm colin.

Enjoyed Prokofiev Romeo and juliet last night . Never heard it before im ashamed to say. Missed Prokofiev`s grandson doing turntables so must watch it on iplayer.
    Kathryn Tickell on now.
    Technic 1210, PS3, AVI neutron 2.1, Icon Audio p1 phono stage.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12