+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proms

MartinT Guest

Default Proms

Anyone else going to this year's BBC Proms? I'm going to Prom 34: Bridge, Holt, Dupré & Saint-Saëns on 9th August. BBC National Orchestra of Wales
    conducted by François-Xavier Roth.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    Anyone else going to this year's BBC Proms? I'm going to Prom 34: Bridge, Holt, Dupré & Saint-Saëns on 9th August. BBC National Orchestra of Wales
    conducted by François-Xavier Roth.
    Gave up attending the Proms years ago. I got fed up, in the 'great ticket lottery', of being sold crappy seats; and there are many in the Albert Hall!

Nowadays I am more than content to listen to the Proms on Radio 3. The Beeb do a good job: the sound balance is that of the best seats (and yes, I have sat in those on occasions). Of course you loose the 'you are there' experience: the sheer sense of occasion and of the (pretty bad) acoustics of the Albert Hall; but the convenience makes up for it.
    Barry

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Every year I keep saying I will go, maybe next year
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm colin.

I fancied Halle doing Bartoc Sibelius and Janacek but im not so sure now. I dont like the sound of the Albert and i dont fancy a crap seat.
    Listen or watch on the Beeb i think.
    Technic 1210, PS3, AVI neutron 2.1, Icon Audio p1 phono stage.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by colinB View Post
    I fancied Halle doing Bartoc Sibelius and Janacek but im not so sure now. I dont like the sound of the Albert and i dont fancy a crap seat.
    Listen or watch on the Beeb i think.
    Hmmm, can't remember how many times I have been there, never had a crap seat yet
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatGig View Post
    Hmmm, can't remember how many times I have been there, never had a crap seat yet
    The Albert Hall can accomodate 6,000 people. Excluding the centre of the Arena (where the promenarders stand - did it once, never again!) there is probably only about a couple of hundred seats that are any good.

Even sat in the stalls one can hear the echo off the wall behind the upper circle seats.

Sitting in a box on 'bore-sight' is OK but the sound is distant; you've got all those bloody promenarders in the way. The upper boxes are better but the sound stage is unbalanced.

The only concert I have heard at the Albert Hall where the acoustics was in any way decent was seeing the folk group Pentangle. On that occasion there were seats in the Arena and I was sat midway across and midway back.

Acoustically the Albert Hall is a disaster when it comes to the Proms. The only reason to attend is to hear a soloist or a visiting orchestra you haven't heard before.
    Barry

I'm colin.

I havent been to the Proms but i did see Yes from a balcony just left of the stage. It was weird.
    Technic 1210, PS3, AVI neutron 2.1, Icon Audio p1 phono stage.

MartinT Guest

I tend to go for the 'expensive'* seats circled just around the promenaders. The viewing position is low but the sound is the best to be had (agreed that the Albert Hall acoustics are challenging), the people sat there tend to be enthusiasts and the atmosphere is unbeatable.

The worst place to be is in the upper gallery to the left of stage near the organ. Awful echo chamber, and completely drowned out when the organ is playing.

Saying all that, the Proms were always intended to bring classical music to the people and I salute Sir Henry Moore for that. The tickets are cheap, the visiting orchestras and performers are impressive and the atmosphere, as I said, is terrific. A credit to the BBC, who also broadcast them rather well.

*compared with the outrageous ticket prices for the Royal Opera House, the Proms are an absolute bargain.

I'm gone.

As a uni student in London many years ago I used to go to lots of Proms as a promenader.

One of my all time great musical experiences was Haitink conducting Mahler 2 .... just mindblowingly powerful ... I was a few yards away from his podium. Ungh.
    He never got close to that sheer visceral excitement in the recording studio, sadly.

A few days back I dug out my DAB radio, haven't tried using it for years. Happily, local DAB reception has improved markedly (it used to be unlistenable) and I look forward to the Proms this year - minidisc recorder at the ready.
    Janacek Glagolitic Mass on the 1st night (tonight!) - yummy.

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    One of my all time great musical experiences was Haitink conducting Mahler 2 .... just mindblowingly powerful ... I was a few yards away from his podium. Ungh.
    I had a similar visceral experience of Mahler 2 with Simon Rattle conducting the CBSO many years ago. Truly memorable with a staggering climax. Rarely have I seen the entire hall rise as one, emotions clear on many faces. It's that kind of experience that makes going to live events so worthwhile.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast