View Poll Results: Shall I keep the CAT5 cable for DIY cables?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES. Keep the cable and try it out, you'll be surprised!

4 40.00%
  • NO. I've tried it and there's better free/cheap stuff to use!

6 60.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY cables - CAT5

I'm Dave.

I've just had a quick read through that TNT article about the coax speaker cable and I'm not sure I agree with their recommendation of using "low loss" coax cable as this is some of the worst quality copper coax cable available. Here's and article about coax types from the point of view of using them for TV/Sat broadcasts: LINK

Obviously the application is a little different but I think the principal is the same.
    Source: Apple TV 4K - DAC: Beresford Bushmaster Mk II - Preamp: CI AudioPLC-1 Mk II - Power Amps: Musical Fidelity 550K mono blocks - Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 3 - Cables: Mark Grant etc - Misc: Belkin PF30 mains filters.

I'm Nat-andthat'swhyIdrink.

Quote Originally Posted by HighFidelityGuy View Post
    I've just had a quick read through that TNT article about the coax speaker cable and I'm not sure I agree with their recommendation of using "low loss" coax cable as this is some of the worst quality copper coax cable available. Here's and article about coax types from the point of view of using them for TV/Sat broadcasts: LINK

Obviously the application is a little different but I think the principal is the same.
    You are right in terms of what to use but then what TNT actually use isn't the "low loss" stuff in the link you describe either.

Think it probably is real low-loss cable as opposed to in the article you point to has it in "" as if it is a claim made by the manufacturer and but in reality is the cheapest and most lossy!

What he describes:

It also has a full copper foil shield (not metalised film or aluminum - never use these) with a relatively sparse plain copper braid over the Copper Foil. If it does not have the copper foil, it's NDFG (could be read No Darn Flipping Good) for our purposes
    is actually the Copper foil type “satellite cable” which is what they say is best in the link you gave too.

Luckily that's what I've found - some good stuff. Left over from a professional building job i suspect, not home stuff.

I'm Dave.

You're quite right, the cable TNT use is much better than the crappy low loss stuff you get now. If you've got copper foil shielded cable than I'd definitely say it's worth making into some interconnects at least and possibly some speaker cables.
    Source: Apple TV 4K - DAC: Beresford Bushmaster Mk II - Preamp: CI AudioPLC-1 Mk II - Power Amps: Musical Fidelity 550K mono blocks - Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 3 - Cables: Mark Grant etc - Misc: Belkin PF30 mains filters.

MartinT Guest

Been there, tried it and not worth the effort.

Now then, lighting twin + earth is a different matter. Makes great speaker cable.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

There was another thread recently where I told my tale of woe - the blisters and RSI weren't worth it, IMO!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Are you both, MartinT and Alex_UK talking of the CAT5 as per my initial question or the coax cables just mentioned?

Think the CAT5 may well be on its way over to the recycling area at the weekend..

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    Been there, tried it and not worth the effort.

Now then, lighting twin + earth is a different matter. Makes great speaker cable.
    The thick stuff? How about kitchen, solid core wire?

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by nat8808 View Post
    Are you both, MartinT and Alex_UK talking of the CAT5 as per my initial question or the coax cables just mentioned?

Think the CAT5 may well be on its way over to the recycling area at the weekend..
    To be fair Nat, I tried a different "recipe" to the TNT cable - I never tried the TNT stuff, as I had lost the will to live and the use of my limbs after making the first pair!

Just found my previous post on it - here
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    To be fair Nat, I tried a different "recipe" to the TNT cable - I never tried the TNT stuff, as I had lost the will to live and the use of my limbs after making the first pair!

Just found my previous post on it - here
    Haha - that must have been a lot of work! One intricate and thick friendship band.

In the bin then - I'll concentrate on the satallite coax instead.

Townshend's Isolda cable started off as coax cable, several (9?) lengths of 50ohm coax in parallel to get its impedance down to near 8 ohms. You can see it in his demo video on his site.

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by nat8808 View Post
    I was talking about CAT5.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast