+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Essential Books

MartinT Guest

Default Essential Books

For me the most essential series of books for looking up classical recordings has been the Penguin Guide series. My first one, from 1984, is titled The Complete Penguin Stereo Record and Cassette Guide, it then transitioned to The Penguin Guide to Compact Discs and is nowadays more simply called The Penguin Guide to Recorded Classical Music. It is worth finding some of the older ones as well as a brand new 2010 edition because recordings are often deleted and the old guides provide a valuable reference to them. I now have six of them, collected over the years.

They have all been compiled by Edward Greenfield, Robert Layton and Ivan March and are fantastic tomes for dipping into or referencing whenever you fancy buying a new recording of a classical piece. Written in a style understandable by all, they describe the performances and recording quality in a way that gives you a decent insight into them and use a simple star and rosette system to classify them by quality.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Penguin-Guid...5&sr=1-1-spell
    Last edited by MartinT; 07-07-2011 at 05:37.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

I buy the Penguin Guide one year and the Gramophone Guide the next year

I have to admit that the Penguin is my preferred guide however, but it's interesting to compare the two.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Keith.

I've a couple of 'pengiuns' and a 'rough guide to...' which is also very good.
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GreatGig View Post
    I have to admit that the Penguin is my preferred guide however, but it's interesting to compare the two.
    I have both and also prefer the Penguin, but it's good to have more than one reference when doing some research.

MartinT Guest

Default 1001 Classical Recordings You Must Hear Before You Die

This book offers an alternative to the above guides and provides just one 'best' recording per piece of music. However, what it does do very well is give you all the music that should form the bedrock of your collection as well as an easy guide for those starting out. Needless to say, I have probably only half the music listed so there is plenty more scope for additional purchases. It's also a plain entertaining read.

It will have you shouting with agreement or disagreement at times. For instance, it lists the best Beethoven 5th Symphony as the Kleiber - tick! It also lists the best Vivaldi Four Seasons as the Concerto Italiano - say what? We all know it's the Drottningholm Baroque Ensemble! And so it goes. You need to use it with the Penguin as accompaniment and they work remarkably well together in a complimentary manner.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/1001-Classic...0016450&sr=8-1

I'm Clark.

I use a number of books to assist me. The penguin guides are very informative, particuarly the bargain record one and the Gramophone yearly catalogues are a good reference for the less common labels.

I also have quite a few manufacturers catologues which are a also a good reference source.

I've not bothered with any recent penguin guides as I feel the web serves me well for info on digital formats.

Andy

MartinT Guest

Andy, what's the book in the lower photo? Is it affiliated to any magazine? I've never seen it before.

I'm Clark.

Martin, as far as I am aware there is no magazine connection. "The Record Year" was first published in 1951 and was the first complete list of LP records. My copy dates from 1953 but I cannot say how many years it remained in print. The book was published as a supplement to "The Record Guide" which was similar in format to the Penguin guides. I like it as it includes the early microgrove LP's from Capitol & Brunswick of which there is little info on the web.

Andy

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    Nice one Martin, I have the 1001 albums book, but didn't know about this one, so will have to buy it - thanks.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

MartinT Guest

Kerching! Gotcha in a different thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast