+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Last classical concert you went to

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Julian.

I had been looking forward to seeing Yuja Wang perform at the Southbank's Queen Elizabeth Hall, seen by many as some kind of messiah of the pianoforte -

'Simply the most important pianist to appear in recent years, period' (The Detroit News).

The experience took me back to 1984 when I went to the Manchester Apollo as a spotty teenager to watch the loudest band in the world - Manowar. Well last night I didn't quite need to put my head under my seat now and again for some aural relief, but I can definitely say that I must now have heard the loudest pianist in the world - Yuja Wang. Nobody hits those keys harder. It is akin to being repeatedly smashed over the skull with a baseball bat. The performance was all crashing dynamics and razor-sharp rhythms, as she hurtled up and down the keyboard at warp speed, in a hazy blur. But the quiet bits were just that - quiet. Where was the lyricism, emotion, and connection? Where in fact was the music? After a very short time I didn't even find the technical pyrotechnics superficially impressive. It's showy, but ultimately soulless, which is a sad way to treat the likes of the immortal Rachmaninov and Scriabin. The sold-out audience seemed to enjoy it as they managed to get her back out for an encore, but I really couldn't muster anything more than polite applause.

The only moment that raised a smile for me was the interval costume change, from one slightly lurid dress into another!! It wasn't quite like Madonna but was certainly a first for me ...

Forgive me if I make a somewhat crass hi-fi analogy, but if the concert had been sponsored by a hi-fi brand, it would have been Naim. I'm more of an Ashkenazy and Quad kind of guy. I'll get my pipe and slippers ...
    Sonore Rendu - Cambridge Audio Edge W - Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by julesd68 View Post
    if the concert had been sponsored by a hi-fi brand, it would have been Naim.
    Or even, Bose? Ah well, the occasional disappointing concert does keep things real, but with the price of tickets these days and the effort required to get there, it's still annoying.

MartinT Guest

Trying to get into the Proms ticket queue this morning - what a nightmare! Been refreshing the page for 1/2 hour and now no. 4967 in the queue

I'm Julian.

Thanks so much for reminding me - had completely forgotten tickets on sale today!

Am now 4357 in queue ...

The one concert that I really want tickets for is the Berlin Phil, so fingers crossed. What about you?

MartinT Guest

My queue number has reset somewhere along the line, so I'm using my lappy to write this now, leaving the desktop IE9 window open and left alone. Position 157 now.

I'm after Prom 5 (Zarathustra & Four Last Songs) and Prom 12 (Beethoven 5 & 6). I have a couple of fall-back ones to go for. Unfortunately, I can't go for the Rattle/BPO as I'll be away on holday that week

MartinT Guest

Got the Prom 5 ok, no good tickets left for Prom 12 so went for Prom 73 (Beethoven Piano Concerto 4, Brucker 9) instead. I'm happy

I'm Julian.

Well done Martin - I'm up to 242 ...

I'm Julian.

Got all my tickets but could only get "restricted view" tickets for the Berlin Phil but at least I will be there !!

MartinT Guest

Well done, Jules. You're not going to either of mine, are you? Could meet up for a drink.

I'm Julian.

Martin - not sure our tastes coincide - I have booked for -

Chamber concert 4
    Chamber concert 8
    Prom 43
    Prom 63

Maybe we should organise an AOS classical night out??
    A concert followed by drinks with music and hi-fi fuelled chat?

Right, got to get off computer - spent the morning trying to get these tickets and am now in the dog-house ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast