+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Last classical concert you went to

I'm Keith.

I'd not been to a classical concert for many years, but went to see the Hallé at Manchester's Bridgewater Hall last Saturday evening. The programme of music by English composers, part of the Promenade Concerts series, was as follows:

William Walton - Johannesburg Festival Overture

Ralph Vaughan Williams - The Lark Ascending

Benjamin Britten - Simple Symphony: Playful Pizzicato

Edward Elgar - Enigma Variations: Troyte, W.N. and Nimrod

Malcolm Arnold - Overture: Tam O'Shanter

Edward Elgar: The Wand of Youth

Ralph Vaughan Williams - Fantasia on Greensleeves

Benjamin Britten - Storm From 'Peter Grimes'

Frederick Delius - Irmelin: Prelude

Gustav Holst: The Perfect Fool: Ballet Suite

All was very enjoyable - I was familiar with most of the music, but had never heard Johannesburg Festival Overture nor Tam O'Shanter before and loved both these pieces - especially 'Tam' .

'Lark' was the standout of the night, beautifully played by Hallé's leader Lyn Fletcher (even though someone's mobile went off just at the wrong moment ).

Conductor Jamie Phillips treated us to an encore - EDU from Elgar's Enigma Variations rounding off a terrific programme.

It's really whetted my appetite for live Classical and have booked for The Manchester Camerata with Nicola Benedetti (Vivaldi - The Four Seasons/Mozart - Symphony No. 36/Pärt - Silouan's Song) in September, Philip Glass and the Philip Glass Ensemble (PGE Retro) in November and the Hallé again with Henning Kraggerud (Shostakovich Violin Concerto No. 2/Vaughan Williams - Fantasia on a theme by Thomas Tallis/Tchaikovsky Symphony No. 6) in January.
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

I'm Julian.

Must have been a great evening Keith!

I think the Bridgewater is a world-class hall and am lucky that I get to go occasionally as my mum lives in Manchester ...

Last time I was there I got to hear 'Fantasia on a theme ... ' for the first time 'live' and it was an other-worldly experience for me. Simply one of the greatest works of all time!

I had 'Lark' on the deck the other day and never tire of it, such a moving piece.

Please report back on how you enjoy your forthcoming concerts ...
    Sonore Rendu - Cambridge Audio Edge W - Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

I'm Graeme.

Handel's Messiah at St George's, Hannover Square in London last night. The annual Handel Society performance in the church that Handel attended when he was resident in London. We walked past his old house on Brook Street to get there. Great performance from real experts as you would expect. link to flier

A superb interesting venue, though rather an unusual, very mixed audience.

I'm Malcolm.

Saw the Oxford Philharmonic Orchestra last night at the Middlesbrough Theatre - quite a small space (less than 500 seats) but with a big stage able to accommodate orchestra and piano. The programme was Beethoven's Piano Concerto No.1 and the Eroica Symphony - which I thought was ambitious for a provincial orchestra (with presumably so many Brendels, Ashkenazys, Klemperers and Karajans pretty fresh in everyone's memory).

Marios Papadopoulos conducted (from the keyboard in the piano concerto - seemingly conducting with his incredibly mobile and almost expressive hair while playing). The strings seemed especially accomplished with a luxurious, glowing sound - but that made the brass seem a little underpowered. Probably with Solti's Vienna Philharmonic recording of the Eroica in my mind's ear (Decca, 1958) I wanted the brass to cut through a little more - to be a little more pungent. Nonetheless a fabulous evening - very enjoyable. I would go and see them again.

Technics SL1210 MkII / SME 309 / Timestep PSU / Achromat / Denon DL-304
    Phono stage PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter
    Lossless / MP3 / Tidal > Roon > Bryston BDP-1USB > Marantz NA-11S1
    Marantz UD7007 SACD/Blu-ray/DVD-V/DVD-A
    Toshiba BDX1200 Blu-ray player (Zone A & Region 1)
    Audiolab 8200AP pre-amp/processor
    Power amp: Arcam P7
    B&W 804S stereo (bi-amped), HTM4S centre, CDMSNT surrounds (5.0)
    Sennheiser HD 700 headphones
    Panasonic PT-AT6000 projector

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910