+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Classical music section ...?

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

I guess classical will always divide opinions - there's a lot of people I guess who see it as elitist and inaccessible? Probably not "hifi bods" though? I certainly don't see a problem with a "Classical Corner" but I don't think I would advocate a separate "Spinning Today" thread just for classical - I would still personally like to see that thread a mish-mash of all genres, as part of the appeal would be lost without it. As always, though - the people should get what the people want, so let us know what you think folks.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    There is of course a danger that such a dedicated section, wherein details of interpretation are chewed (maybe even argued) over, would put off those noviciates who want to dip their toe into the Classical waters. It need not, but there is that risk.
    I'm sure there will be a mixture of accessible threads and in-depth hair-splitting of interest only to the classically insane!

Certainly going by the Wigwam classical music section, there were a number of threads started by classical would-be newbies who were after advice on what to get to dip their toes in the water. And those threads almost always went down well, and led to all sorts of interesting advice & discussions.

I'm sure it will be a useful mixture.

So ... when's it gonna start?

I'm ChrisB.

There are two excellent threads that were started by Jeremy Marchant that kind of set the scene nicely:

Songs with orchestra worth exploring
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3359

This was a great sampler for classical music & Jeremy explained a good way of easing yourself into things while also providing some background information.

Classical music for people that (think they) don't like classical music
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3373

Jeremy has credentials in this field!

I'm afesteringvinylphile.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    But - Classical music is a little different. The recordings are not made by the original composer/performer (well, with the exception of a few by Elgar, Stravinski and Gershwin. There may be some others.). In all cases the recordings are intepretations of the scores left by the composers. That is why many of us will have several versions of one particular piece. I'm still looking for my definitive version of the Beethoven 9!
    It is also the reason why, when posting on the "Spinning Today" thread I go to the trouble of listing soloists, orchestras, conductors and give the recording date and number.

There is of course a danger that such a dedicated section, wherein details of interpretation are chewed (maybe even argued) over, would put off those noviciates who want to dip their toe into the Classical waters. It need not, but there is that risk.
    I tend to agree. In terms of identifying classical recordings, there are layers that are sometimes hard for those new to the "genre" to figure out. It can be a little daunting to choose, as you say, Beethoven's 9th, when there are so many different recordings of it out there. Composer, conductor, symphony/philharmonic, soloist... symphonic, operatic, ballet, chamber... I think a dedicated area like this could not only point out good recordings but could also help steer newcomers, more quickly, to recordings they will enjoy... as opposed to gettin suckered into some of those dreadful compilations.

Maybe, such an area needs to moderated in a more heavy handed way than usual. For example, pointing out the differences between performances by Vladimir Ashkenazy and Glenn Gould = allowed. Say Ashkenazy or Gould play with broken fingers compared to the other = permission to post in section terminated.
    Lyrics are the ramblings of man, sometimes inspired by The Creator, most often, not.
    But music (melodies, harmonies, rhythms), that's God stuff.
    Always was. Always will be.

One of the biggest lies ever told was that only certain kinds of people should listen to certain kinds of music.

(silent) VINYL LP SLIDESHOWS

I'm Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    I guess classical will always divide opinions - there's a lot of people I guess who see it as elitist and inaccessible?
    It's only 'elitist and inaccessible' when people make it that way. Anyway, I'm done on this topic, hope any segregated 'classical' forum is a big success. Sincerely.
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

I'm Clark.

The reason I started the thread "Great Classical Recordings" was to showcase classical music that I and others have found that merit recommendation. It may be that the recording was exemplary, the musicianship was superb or any other reason.

As Barry said, classical music is a little different in that it's the orchestra or musician(s), conductor and recording engineer who together can often create something special. Taking the example of Beethoven's 9th, I've had a quick check and found I own 15 different versions, spanning a period 60 years between recording dates. Each has something to offer but there are some I consider to be truly excellent and worthy of recommendation. Others may have version I've not heard or prefer a different rendition. In this way we can all share our findings and learn from each other.

If there is sufficient interest in such a thread then, with members recommendations, we can start to build up a knowledge base that may help others to make informed choices when considering classical music.

Just to head this one off at the pass, I know some of the recordings I have posted may not always be that affordable as an original pressing but with very few exceptions have been re-issued in various formats and are freely available.

So, should there be a seperate section for classical? I don't really think so but what I wanted to acheive is not "spinning today" but more akin to a classical version of "records to die for" so maybe making it a sticky would be the right thing to start with.

Andy

I'm Mark.

Well I listen to a bit of Classical from time to time I think a section of the forum specifically for this genre would be a great idea. I particularly like Elgar, Bach, & Mahler.

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Quite a few classical fans are coming out of the woodwork in a current music thread ... is there interest in a Classical Music section on AOS? I think one would be good.

EDIT: Mind you, it would help if I could spell classical correctly. - clasical, indeed!
    If you really want it to include just classical music by definition then it would be a rather limited catalogue. No modern composers, no Bach or Mozart

I'm Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post

So ... when's it gonna start?
    When you promise by all that's sacred you won't fill it with dirge

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Bunsen Honeydew View Post
    If you really want it to include just classical music by definition then it would be a rather limited catalogue. No modern composers, no Bach or Mozart
    Not using it in that sense

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast