+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Great programs on TV

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by keiths View Post
    Life on Mars
    Oh yeah - that was a really good show, totally agree. But the follow up Ashes to Ashes sucked - they really didn't understand why LOM was so popular. Painful to see.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Keith.

Yeah, didn't enjoy A2A at all. Should have finished it after LoM. Classic example of not knowing when to stop.
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

I'm Martin.

Watchable current shows IMHO:

Top Gear
    The Apprentice
    Family Guy
    Southpark
    Time Team
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    Ancient Aliens
    Celebrity Ghost Stories
    Lead Balloon
    Peep Show

Note: No modern drama - because the plots are trite and predictable, dialogue is clunky and unbelieveable and the acting is wooden - that goes for UK and US shows including much vaunted The Wire - I couldn't make it through the first episode

It's late and I am ranting

Message to TV drama producers - watch The Sopranos and see how it is done!
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Mark.

i don't watch tv, it's dross. prefer music, dvd's & drinking copious amounts of alcohol

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Hardly watch any TV at all these days. Missus usually has Eastnationdale Street or whatever soaps they are and I sit on here and other dubious websites, or the nipper is watching kids TV (Peppa Pig & Charlie & Lola being her top 2.)

I tend to get sucked into X Factor when its on in the autumn, and the only thing I'm watching at the moment with any regularity is The Apprentice.

Martin mentioned The Rockford Files and I loved that too, think I used to watch it with my Dad on Thursday nights. That was certainly when we watched Blake's 7 which was another good series, but my absolute favourite TV series was Saturday tea time and The Dukes of Hazard - I've got all of them on DVD, and a fair collection of memorabilia including a signed photo of Catherine Bach who was every schoolboy's fantasy back in the early 80s. My wife even allowed our daughter to have Daisy as a middle name!

Yeeeeeee Haaaaaaaaah!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    , but my absolute favourite TV series was Saturday tea time and The Dukes of Hazard - I've got all of them on DVD, and a fair collection of memorabilia including a signed photo of Catherine Bach who was every schoolboy's fantasy back in the early 80s. My wife even allowed our daughter to have Daisy as a middle name!

Yeeeeeee Haaaaaaaaah!
    Is my memory hazy or was the first season far superior and more 'adult' than the later ones? I'm sure the first season was shown on a Sunday night quite late on, 8 pm?
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Jan.

I don't mind paying my license but the summer draught makes me reconsider... 2 months of massive reruns on all channels... as if there isn't enought reruns the rest of the year.
    As luck will have it TDF is about to hit the mountains so there will be postcard scenery with added blood, sweat and tears.
    It is tradition to watch the drug addicts in the mountains.

In regards to the reality shows I regard them as exploitation and I never watch any of this. I have been forced to watch the singing/dancing shows when visiting friends/family.

It doesn't mean that I can't be sucked in by the drivel...
    I used to like the original CSI series, but detested the glossy "CSI Miami" and when they brought on "CSI New York" i quit. It is just to unrealistic. Techs that do ALL the police work.. yeah right
    In the later years it has been "House" and "Battlestar Galactica".

In pre-historic times it was things like "Married with children", "X-Files", "Twin Peaks", "Startrek", "Bottom"....
    And if I shall mention some Danish tv series that stands out in memory it would be "Riget" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108906/ odd twisted great fun

Nowadays Danish tv series makes my toes curl and thats is why I have not seen "The Killing"
    Jan.

Main: Touch -> Beresford Caiman II -> Carver A-500x -> B&W 704
    Office: Duet (Audiocom)
    -> Luxman L-210 -> Stax SR84 Pro
    -> Beresford Bushmaster -> Superlux HD668B

Server: A8-5500, 4 GB, SSD + 2*1 TB, Win8 w. SBS 7.9 (SQLite w. High Mem)
    Tied together by D-Link DIR-655 + DGS-1008D

I'm Martin.

Married With Children was a top show - probably just too American for mainstream British tastes.

Two more US classics that spring to mind:

The Larry Sander's Show
    And going way back to the 1950s the incomparable and never bettered Phil Silvers Show AKA 'Sargeant Bilko'
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Simon.

The Larry Sander's show was excellent but I remember it being tucked away around the midnight slot on BBC2 alongside Seinfeld, which I also enjoy.

As for the Wire, you need to invest time in it. Nothing happens for the first couple of episodes but by the time you've finished all 5 series you will accept you've watched something very special. The whole structure of it is just so different which is partly what makes it so good. Buy the boxset and settle back for some quality TV.

Didn't anyone on here watch the brilliant Shadow Line on Beeb 2 ? It was simply superb.

There is a lack of quality drama on at the moment, just checked by Humax box and I've very little on the drama side on the schedule.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by griffo104 View Post
    As for the Wire, you need to invest time in it. Nothing happens for the first couple of episodes but by the time you've finished all 5 series you will accept you've watched something very special. The whole structure of it is just so different which is partly what makes it so good. Buy the boxset and settle back for some quality TV.

I've got the boxset but the first episode is so clunky I just couldn't make it through - You are not the first person to tell me it improves so I will give it another go I think
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast