+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Great programs on TV

I'm Paul.

I forgot and how could I

The Shield

I'm Tom.

I can count on one hand the good programmes on TV these days.

Up at the very top for me because it is pure entertainment and has SFA to do with cars and motoring is TOP GEAR. Even the umpteenth repeat on Dave is still just as funny after much repeated viewing. It is of course all scripted and contrived, but let's face it which TV programmes aren't and TG does what most others don't - entertain.

Next up for me the Dog Whisperer with Cesar Milan. I watch this because it has proved invaluable with the fostering we do for the Retired Greyhound Trust. This guy is the first dog 'guru' I have seen who truly understands dog behaviour and that it is us humans alone who creates badly behaved dogs. "I rehabilitate dogs and I teach humans" is his mantra and never a truer word said. Learned a lot from this guy and still learning.

I like "Spartacus, Blood and Sand" because of it's tits, bums and furburgers as far as the eye can see The simulated sex is good to watch, but the simulated CGI generated gushing torrents of blood isn't.

Jonathan Creek for some harmless tosh.

QI is as it's title suggests is Quite Interesting - when they stuff fannying around with ribald remarks.

I 'Lost' the will to live after the fifth episode of LOST. It started off well but then degenerated into pointless drivel, so the initial soupcon of becoming a fascinating series turned into the equivalent of watching paint dry. How anyone could last five series without requiring a lobotomy to clear their minds of all that that crepe is utterly baffling. "The Event" too seemed to be fashioned from the same mould and started off well enough to intrigue the curious, the slide downwards began after episode 3 and the end was almost a non-event - please excuse the pun.

At the moment I am struggling with "The Pacific" and the novelty of killing endless numbers of Japanese in far flung Pacific islands is wearing very thin now. Take the shooting and killing out and you would probably be left with 10 minutes of relevant sanitised content and the adverts.

Apart from those few, the rest of my leisure time is spent listening to choons on me stereo

I'm Steve.

Some may have noticed that my choices are somewhat dated, and this is because I got rid of the TV years go. Over the last 6 months or so I have been living with my partner who does watch TV and I have to be hinest and say it is mostly utter tripe She likes to watch all that britasins got talent and x factor rubbish which only reinforces the reasins why I got rid in the first place. Exceptions have been the 4400 which I had on DVD. I do like movies though.
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by aquapiranha View Post
    Over the last 6 months or so I have been living with my partner who does watch TV and I have to be honest and say it is mostly utter tripe She likes to watch all that britasins got talent and x factor rubbish which only reinforces the reasins why I got rid in the first place.
    Can't argue with that....
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Mark.

I'm colin.

All the commercial channels are crap but i dont mind paying my license for beeb2 and 4. However with the recent cuts they are repeating a lot of old stuff on bbc4 now so im expecting the quality to go down. Friday night ob bbc4 used to be great for music docs and concerts but there has been nothing fresh for a while now.
    Technic 1210, PS3, AVI neutron 2.1, Icon Audio p1 phono stage.

I'm Simon.

The Wire - just perfect in every possible way

Six Feet Under

Luther

The Shadow Line - Just finished on beeb 2 and possibly the finest thing they have done in a very long time

The Shield

Curb Your enthusiasm - comedy genius

Sons Of anarchy - not perfect but once you get in to it hard not to enjoy

Justified - loved the first series but missed the second

Wallander - The Swedish origina, better writing, better acting and just excellent

Lewis - guilty pleasure here but I just think it's the best thing on ITV by a mile so deserves some recognition.

I'm Dave.

Anything that's not American. Very anti-American here, and I don't like their culture.

Oh, and it's "programmes" and not "programs"

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by ursus262 View Post
    Anything that's not American. Very anti-American here, and I don't like their culture.

Oh, and it's "programmes" and not "programs"
    They make the best cop/PI shows though:

The Rockford Files - I loved that and I have 120 channels and it isn't on any of them

Magnum P.I, - got better as it went on

Hill Steet Blues - best cop show ever

What have we got? Inspector Morse, Juliet Bravo and the Bill
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Keith.

What have we got? Inspector Morse, Juliet Bravo and the Bill
    Life on Mars
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast