+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Open Baffle speaker

I'm Dominic.

I agree John. Shame really as they would be a bargain compared to the competition, ie; box speakers.

I'm ILOB.

Yes it would be a fantastic speaker and would offer crazy value for the performance. Perhaps you could build one for a show and then see if you get a response at the show and then offer it for review to the mags
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Tony, you're welcome to come over for a listen at the weekend if you like. I use a pair of Bantam Golds driving the OB's actively using a Behringer DCX2496-

Ali,
    Thanks for the offer,I work shifts and do a lot of weekend work.If its OK ill pm you near my next weekend off.You mentioned the cost of the drivers,is it required to custom make crossovers or can someone sell these.
    Regards Tony.

I'm ILOB.

Ali uses active x over approach
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic Harper View Post
    I am seriously thinking of importing some drivers and plate amps from Hawthorne, and making custom OB's with slate baffles.
    I have spoken to Darrel at Hawthorne and he is a great guy.
    Go for it Dominic. If I hadn't inadvertently got in to EMI ellipticals I would have followed John down the Hawthorne route - may still do at some point. so much bang for your buck.
    Paul.

I'm ILOB.

Dominic: Try moving the back plate of the tweeters really improved them if you got the steriling you can reservse it if you do not like with the Silver Iris you have to find a way to remove the cover, makes a big difference in terms of detail and image

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by wee tee cee View Post
    Ali,
    Thanks for the offer,I work shifts and do a lot of weekend work.If its OK ill pm you near my next weekend off.You mentioned the cost of the drivers,is it required to custom make crossovers or can someone sell these.
    Regards Tony.
    No worries Tony, let me know. I use a pair of Golds to drive the speakers actively, using a Behringer DCX2496. These can be had on ebay for about £150 secondhand. Sounds great.

I'm Dominic.

Hi John. It's on my 'to do' list. Will get around to tinkering with them at some point. I just enjoy these speakers so much as they are.
    I will at some point design some slate baffles and stand with adjustable tilt and 3 point base. The idea is finished in my head but just need the funds to sort it.

I'm tony.

A mountain of information,thanks Gents.
    I must admit to not knowing an awful lot about crossovers active or otherwise.
    I look forward to hearing Obs but would like to know what it would cost me to build them from scratch,might even have to factor in a saw.
    I could purchase drivers/baffle/crossover in instalments....maybe even do a step by step number (if I figure out how to post photos).
    I think this could provide an Idiots guide....The path to OB salvation.

I'm ILOB.

Its not complicated as I said if you go down Ali route then perhap ask Steve to copy his design If you go down the Hawthorne route I send you a link that explains a step by step process that I even I could follow
    You probarly get some timber merchants to cut for you or you could hire out or borrow suitable equipment
    Equipment you could use electric saw a router and screwdrivers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast