+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Open Baffle speaker

I'm tony.

Well,I ran it by my good lady regards the physical size of the OBs,she is OK.
    My distance from the rear wall may be an issue but I dare say we can get round it.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by aquapiranha View Post
    Remember though it is not just a case of plonking some big drivers in a sheet of wood. There is some serious maths etc involved when considering the size and drivers. I had a little help on that from the man himself, Martin J King, the result being the OB's Ali is using now. FYI they are oak faced MDF with a sheet of 19MM BBply on the back - the idea here was to give enough strength and weight to the design, and at the same time use differing materials to help with damping. They are very simple to make though and if you can use a router you are halfway there. Have a look at the MJK site there are some great ideas and info there..

http://www.quarter-wave.com/OBs/OB_Theory.html

If, I said if I was going to make some more OB's I would be looking at a similar design, perhaps using a H frame for the bass drivers. Have a look here too..

http://www.wildburroaudio.com/projects.php
    making a design with folding panels (as above) is a good way of reducing the footprint whilst gaining extra bass.
    Paul.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    You did a great job Steve. They sound superb.
    Thanks Ali! Like I said though anyone can do it, it isn't hard really. They look great there in your room, I wish I had have kept them now
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

I'm Dominic.

Strange thing is, my missus actualy prefers these to the floor standers I was using before!

I'm Steve.

They look lovely Dominic. A bit like the ones I built, nice clean lines. Did you find the bass ok on them? the reason I ask is that I used 2 X 15" Eminence Alphas per side to make up for the lack of a box.
    They are Silver Iris drivers? Steve

I'm ILOB.

Nice work
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Dominic.

Yes they are 10" silver Iris's with matching bass Augies. The bass is incredible, very clean and extended. The bass units are powered with a Rythmik plate amp.
    Test tones indicate these things go down to 35 Htz!

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic Harper View Post
    Yes they are 10" silver Iris's with matching bass Augies. The bass is incredible, very clean and extended. The bass units are powered with a Rythmik plate amp.
    Test tones indicate these things go down to 35 Htz!
    Good job. Never measured the others but Ali might have. I drove them in active config with bass driven by two channels of a Sure 2050 Tripath amp and the Visaton B200's the other, via a Rane AC23B X-over. The B200's are fantastic drivers. Might have to have another look at the Silver Iris site.

http://www.hawthorneaudio.com/

I'm Dominic.

I am seriously thinking of importing some drivers and plate amps from Hawthorne, and making custom OB's with slate baffles.
    I have spoken to Darrel at Hawthorne and he is a great guy.

I'm ILOB.

Yes Darrel a great guy one of the nicest guys you could deal with
    The 15" bass drivers go even lower I think slate be great just not sure what the market would be I offered a cheap bespoke service awhile back and no interests
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast