Closed Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: This thread won't make me popular (and may even get me banned!)

I'm Mike.

Nice one Marco all i can add is that everyone should treat their follow members with the respect they would hope to get in return, it's not rocket science people

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Thanks Marco, for a reasoned and well written summary.

The first point I would like to add, is that in no way was I trying to organise a witch hunt or lynch mob, or otherwise drive Howard or Richard out of town...

Howard - IMO I don't think there is any need for you to stop posting your links and news items - I would just suggest that you don't start a new thread every time. We have a "Balderdash & Piffle" thread, which does what it says on the tin, or maybe you could start a "Howards Musings" thread and then add the posts there, keeping them all in the same place.

Richard - Marco has made some very valid points in your defence above, and as I said above I have no desire to drive you or anyone away from the forum - but the fact remains that whether you realise it or not, you do rub people up the wrong way sometimes. So please, and without wishing to be rude "wind your neck in a little" - I think it is fair to say (as Marco has said) that matters have "improved" - and I'm certainly in no position to judge anyone, but when I see some of the people you've had "spats" with and know that they are the least likely people to get aggressive, then the common denominator has to be a factor...

And whilst I appreciate you have strong views on the industry and will have forgotten more than I will ever know about it, I am sure I am not alone in finding the frequent "pops" at retailers, magazines and other manufacturers to be rather tiresome - we know how you feel about them, so there's no need to keep banging on about it - please? It's all about respect at the end of the day.

The only reason I raised this is because I care about AoS, and the community that it has become, and rather than just fade away and watch others do the same I thought it right to air the issues, and hopefully we can all agree to try and take this forum back in the right direction.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

...providing that you thought it wasn't going pretty well in the right direction in the first place, albeit very slightly off track. Let's keep things in perspective, folks - there is no 'crisis' here!

Points taken, Alex. I will comment more after lunch

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    And whilst I appreciate you have strong views on the industry and will have forgotten more than I will ever know about it, I am sure I am not alone in finding the frequent "pops" at retailers, magazines and other manufacturers to be rather tiresome - we know how you feel about them, so there's no need to keep banging on about it - please? It's all about respect at the end of the day.
    Between them they ruined our industry for a large number of years, which we are only just now breaking completely free from.

So no I will not ignore the reality we had to put up with in the 80's and 90's. As a customer you had little or no choice but to follow as there were no alternative courses, and everyone had to follow the rules if they wished to trade. It is a different world now and I am commenting on it plus drawing attention to how it was so we don't go back or just find a replacement bullshit.

There are many others who feel exactly the same as me about it, but are just not so vociferous.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

Indeed Richard, I've read your opinion of the past several times and certainly never expect you will change it - backfired on me though, didn't it - as I've just given you the perfect opportunity to tell us all again!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

So no I will not ignore the reality we had to put up with in the 80's and 90's. As a customer you had little or no choice but to follow as there were no alternative courses, and everyone had to follow the rules if they wished to trade. It is a different world now and I am commenting on it plus drawing attention to how it was so we don't go back or just find a replacement bullshit.

There are many others who feel exactly the same as me about it, but are just not so vociferous.
    That's fine, Richard, but don't allow it to become an all-encompassing obsession, that's all, which I think is all Alex is saying

You must appreciate that most folks here aren't as 'into' this subject as much as you are, for various reasons, and so repeated reference to it can come across rather as a 'broken record'.....

Anyway, is there nothing else you wish to say about what's been written here in reference to you?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm gone.

Well done Alex, for bravely raising an issue about which you care a lot.

Howard - IMO I don't think there is any need for you to stop posting your links and news items - I would just suggest that you don't start a new thread every time. We have a "Balderdash & Piffle" thread, which does what it says on the tin, or maybe you could start a "Howards Musings" thread and then add the posts there, keeping them all in the same place.
    I get the feeling that Howard is seeking a rather higher profile on the forum than merely joining in on a general "Balderdash & Piffle" thread, but a "Howard's Musings" thread seems an excellent way ahead to me.

Richard - ... please, and without wishing to be rude "wind your neck in a little" ....
    Part of the trouble here imo is that RD is passionate about, and has a huge chip on his shoulder about, genuinely nasty stuff that is ancient history to many posters here (like Young Alex!). They were probably in their nappies, or still a sparkle in their parents' eyes when it was all happening.

By all means, Richard, let the lessons learned from those unfortunate times inform your views and your postings, but as Alex said, you have just used this thread to have yet another tedious rant. Get a grip, man, the record is well and truly stuck!

With regard to RD's confrontational nature - I got a huge shock when I actually met him after he kindly invited me over. I was expecting a stooped, grey haired, grouchy old geezer with a permament scowl. Not so! In person, he is most pleasant indeed ... and he probably wishes he did have grey hair - better than no hair at all?
    Anyways, if RD could act on the forums more like his real life persona, everyone here would be happier, I reckon.

Part of the trouble here imo is that RD is passionate about, and has a huge chip on his shoulder about, genuinely nasty stuff that is ancient history to many posters here (like Young Alex!). They were probably in their nappies, or still a sparkle in their parents' eyes when it was all happening.
    Indeed! I was only in primary school when most of that stuff was going on, so although I know of it from reading the history from various sources, I can't really relate to it in the way Richard and some of the older chaps here can.

You really need to be 50+, in order for that stuff to have been properly 'in your zone'

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Dave.

Thing is, it wasn't like that for everyone. It's one man's opinion.

As a dealer in those times, we were never, ever told what to do, what to sell, how much to sell or anything like that. I'm sure it might have happened with some dealers but not with us or other dealers I know.

In those heady days, we demo'd everything we sold and everything sold on it's merit. We kept a wide range of products on demonstration including many Linn alternatives, DD decks (yes) and even valve amps. We were never dictated to by Linn and sold what we liked without interference.

That's the way it was for us and that is the way it is now. I sell what I like.

And that is one of the problems I have with shooting down a whole portion of any industry - tarring everyone with the same brush is unfair, in almost any situation. There are good and bad in everything.
    Alex

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast